LOR specificities for each school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zinn12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, does anyone have a list of schools that they are applying to and what combination of LOR the school requires?

I thought we could start a thread and list out the schools and the LOR specificity:

For example:
Upenn: 2 LOR minimum (2 Science if you are a science major) not sure to additional letters
Harvard: 3 LOR minimum (3 Science, 1 dentist) can be a research professor, and NO to additional letters
Tufts: (1 Bio, 1 Chem, 1 dentist (with 30 hrs explicitly stated)) yes to additional (upper level biology classes)
Temple: (2 science min)

please fix me if I'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there much point of having something if it needs "fixing"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, does anyone have a list of schools that they are applying to and what combination of LOR the school requires?

I thought we could start a thread and list out the schools and the LOR specificity:

For example:
Upenn: 2 LOR minimum (2 Science if you are a science major) not sure to additional letters
Harvard: 3 LOR minimum (3 Science, 1 dentist) can be a research professor, and NO to additional letters
Tufts: (1 Bio, 1 Chem, 1 dentist (with 30 hrs explicitly stated)) yes to additional (upper level biology classes)
Temple: (2 science min)

please fix me if I'm wrong.

pretty sure tufts is 3 science: 2 bio, 1 non-bio science...can anyone confirm?

And I think this is a great thread. Don't listen to Doc.

If your undergrad has a prehealth committee, it is best to get a committee letter.

From Tufts Website:

"Required Letters of Evaluation:

1 Letter from a Biology professor

1 Letter from a second science, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Math or Physics
*Or a pre-professional composite committee letter

1 Letter from a general dentist providing proof of at least 30 hours of dental shadowing experience--please note this letter must include approximate number of hours."

Hope that clears everything up :)

pretty sure tufts is 3 science: 2 bio, 1 non-bio science...can anyone confirm?
And I think this is a great thread. Don't listen to Doc.

In fact it is so great that you can stay tuned and it may come to your computer screen in the near future. However, the information can be easily confirmed by visiting the school's website or is this a foreign concept? Having inaccurate information is worse than no information at all.

In fact it is so great that you can stay tuned and it may come to your computer screen in the near future. However, the information can be easily confirmed by visiting the school's website or is this a foreign concept? Having inaccurate information is worse than no information at all.

I agree.... Your better off doing this research yourself rather than reading it from someone's post. Missing or getting the wrong LOR requirements is serious a disaster, some schools won't even consider your application complete until all your LORs are in file.... AND SOME don't even inform the applicant that they are missing LORs, so you'd be sitting home waiting for the school to contact you about an interview and it never happens.