LOR Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastboyslim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've searched this in the forums but am still unclear.

When should LORs be submitted? No earlier than your AMCAS is submitted? No earlier than your AMCAS primary is verified? No earlier than your secondary to a particular school is submitted?

Btw, how long does it take AMCAS to verify your primary? I've heard 4-6 weeks !?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I've searched this in the forums but am still unclear.

When should LORs be submitted? No earlier than your AMCAS is submitted? No earlier than your AMCAS primary is verified? No earlier than your secondary to a particular school is submitted?

Btw, how long does it take AMCAS to verify your primary? I've heard 4-6 weeks !?

The application has changed since I last applied, but I had my letters before any secondaries arrived. It's easier that way because then you can just send them out, without worrying about getting complete.

If you submit early, verification will only take a few days. I submitted on June 19th, and was verified by the 22nd. However, the longer you wait, the longer it takes to verify. Yes, if you wait until the end of July, August, September, or even October, it will take a few weeks to verify, simply because there are more applications to wade through.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is the most confusing part of the app to me. If I want to submit my app June 2nd (the earliest date), do I need to have all of my letters to AMCAS by then? Or do I just need to tell AMCAS who to expect LOR's from?

This is probably most confusing to me because this whole AMCAS letters program is essentially brand new this year, so most people from past years can't help.

I think this is the most confusing part of the app to me. If I want to submit my app June 2nd (the earliest date), do I need to have all of my letters to AMCAS by then? Or do I just need to tell AMCAS who to expect LOR's from?

This is probably most confusing to me because this whole AMCAS letters program is essentially brand new this year, so most people from past years can't help.

I don't think you need to do anything with the LOR section to be verified. Like with the schools, it is something you can add to after you submit. However, you cannot change the listings once you do submit, so you might want to make sure you're going to get the letter before you input the information. Remember, you can always add, but you can't take away.