LOR...what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puncho

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering if you could give me any advice on what to do w/ my LORs.

I'm not in a science major but I plan on getting a LOR from a chem professor whose course I'm taking right now. However, I'm not too sure about how I'd get my 2nd letter from a science prof...My first year seems a bit too far (I'm in 3rd year) and the other courses I didn't do great (Bs) or talk much.

I'm going to get a LOR from a non-sci prof who knows me better, but what should I do for my 2nd science prof? Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a similar situation with you. You definitely NEED a science prof LOR, or else the schools won't mark your application as "complete" and will not review it at all. So if you can't find a legitimate science LOR, find ANY prof from a science class you've taken, and ask if they're willing at least to write you a standard "place-holder" letter; it can say NOTHING at all, a standard such letter would be:

"John Doe took my X class in Fall of 2004, he received a grade of C. He was 142/234 in class standing."

Obviously this letter ain't going to help your cause, but at least it will get your apps reviewed and if you've got other stuff to make for it it will be enough.

Interesting...thanks. I think I could get one to do that at least :p

Members don't see this ad :)
So only one guy had a similar problem? :(

I had a similar problem as well. I knew that the professors didn't know me all that well, but I just asked them to do one anyway. Placeholder letters are probably legitimate, but personally I would approach the professor expecting at least a fuller looking letter. It can be filled with information that you told them to write, but at least they should be able to write a couple of sentences (with your help) about you.

I prepared a little "helper packet" that I gave to my prof's containing:

1. A prewritten letter (some prof's actuallyu prefer this).
2. A list of accomplishments, extra-curriculars, and class assignments that the prof could draw from if he/she wanted to write their own.
3. A small picture of myself.
4. a summary of what I had been doing since college.

Don't Fret! I got 3 science letters and I got B's in all three classes! And, take the chance to let the prof get to know you.