LOR: with secondary or primary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biophysicbadass

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have been to a zillion websites trying to figure this out. Problem is places like Cornell, Hopkins, Northwestern, USC, and a bunch more don't indicate specifically whether you send them in with the primary, or wait for a secondary. Does anmyone know if there is a summary anywhere to find this out? I don't want to rely on contacting each school and waiting for them to get back to me.

Members don't see this ad.

well, you can try sending them after your primary has gone out. just be aware that some schools will throw them away if they arrive before the secondary -- but that is the exception rather than the rule.

Wait until you do the secondary or at least until you've been asked to do the secondary (the schools whose on-line secondaries you can get to without an invitation, you can go ahead and start on as soon as you've submitted your primary). The secondary will have instructions on it regarding the LOR's, like how many and from which disciplines, and/or a place to list the names of your recommenders or whether you're using a committee letter. As far as I know there is no centralized place to find this out for all schools. Don't screw up the system by sending things before they're expecting them. Things get crazy enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry, i foudn this thread from a while ago...is it still the case now? if i have a recommender who cant get me his/her letter until july can i still put my primary in early june?

sorry, i foudn this thread from a while ago...is it still the case now? if i have a recommender who cant get me his/her letter until july can i still put my primary in early june?

It could take about 6 weeks for the primary application to be processed, so of course it's better to send it in early.