Is it a Huge Red Flag If Primary and Secondary 'Sound' Similar?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maxwell879

Reaction score
1. I was a bit worried about one of my secondary questions to a school. School basically asked,

"Please discuss all of your current and recent activities and engagements that have prepared you for medical school...."

and I did such. But looking back after submitting it, I am worried that it sounded too much like my work activities from my primary. I didn't copy and paste anything, but none of my activities changed or my roles changed very much. Would admissions look at this and think I am lazy "repeating" ideas from my primary, etc

2. Is it also similar / worse if you mention the same idea from your PS for a school's question "how do you fit X's Mission" if the idea is fitting for the question? I feel, upon review this happened to me in another secondary I submitted.
Again, not just blatant copying and pasting, but is it better to have a good answer fitting for the question or not repeat an idea and formulate something else, in your opinion? I know secondaries should be an "extension" of your app so ideally you should add more so admissions get to know you better. Was just curious about people's thoughts or those who are more knowledgable about the process.

It is also possible I am just getting post-submission anxiety....

Members don't see this ad.

It’s not bad to elaborate on something you mentioned previously, but try not to just repeat what you have already said. It’s not a red flag though!

Reactions: 1 user
It’s not bad to elaborate on something you mentioned previously, but try not to just repeat what you have already said. It’s not a red flag though!
Appreciate you taking the time to respond and your feedback! The process is very new to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. I was a bit worried about one of my secondary questions to a school. School basically asked,

"Please discuss all of your current and recent activities and engagements that have prepared you for medical school...."

and I did such. But looking back after submitting it, I am worried that it sounded too much like my work activities from my primary. I didn't copy and paste anything, but none of my activities changed or my roles changed very much. Would admissions look at this and think I am lazy "repeating" ideas from my primary, etc

2. Is it also similar / worse if you mention the same idea from your PS for a school's question "how do you fit X's Mission" if the idea is fitting for the question? I feel, upon review this happened to me in another secondary I submitted.
Again, not just blatant copying and pasting, but is it better to have a good answer fitting for the question or not repeat an idea and formulate something else, in your opinion? I know secondaries should be an "extension" of your app so ideally you should add more so admissions get to know you better. Was just curious about people's thoughts or those who are more knowledgable about the process.

It is also possible I am just getting post-submission anxiety....
Character or word limits?

Secondary response: always answer the prompt whenever possible. If a committee wants you to say the same thing using different words, do it.

A lot of programs share similar verbiage in their mission statements. Read

Reactions: 1 users
Character or word limits?

Secondary response: always answer the prompt whenever possible. If a committee wants you to say the same thing using different words, do it.

A lot of programs share similar verbiage in their mission statements. Read
As always, your input is greatly appreciated. I'll read the article. I think I was just getting some post-submission nerves which seems to be common. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user