LOR wont be submitted til december?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentgrl2984

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My entire applcation will be ready to go on June 4th, but I had a professor screw me over. She offered me the LOR, I didnt even have to ask for it and I made the time to see her and everything. She was moving but she gave me her personal contact info and then when it came time to upload the letter, she bailed! So I would like to have one more LOR from an actual "core" science faculty member. I have an organic chem and an anthropology professor and my boss an orthodontist. I know some schools will not accept the letter from the anthropology professor, but she was a last resort since the other professor bailed and no other professors would write me one. I am taking a class in the fall and will get a letter from him but is it too late for that letter? I have contacted all the schools I am appyling to regarding the types of letters accepted, and they all say my letters will satisfy their requirement, but I feel I need one more.....any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If your letters satisfy the school's requirement, they'll review your application without that last letter. I was in a similar situation last cycle and I got accepted without it.

Good luck

December is way too late. Having only one science letter will limit your school options. But it's doable. Did you check with all of your schools? Could you sneak a generic letter from another science instructor? A generic one is better than nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I spoke with all the schools and they said the letters I have are good for them...I had contacted all my previous science professors and no one responded...

Well, I guess if it meets your needs, you just roll with it. I was almost in your shoes and was left with a pretty awkward list of schools to apply to (for me personally...not saying yours are awkward). Then I secured a physics letter at the last minute that may or may not have been 2 or 3 sentences long. Besides the 2 science, I had two dental letters (one volunteer related, one shadow/personal related).

Since your dental letter is from your boss and is an orthodontist, is there maybe a general dentist you could add? I don't know that it makes a difference, but I understand feeling a little uneasy only submitting 3 letters when you can put up to 4.

If its all you can get it'll have to do! Don't wait until December that's for sure

December is too late, apply without last medicare letter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

I am in a similar situation. Would you mind sharing what schools are you planning on applying to?

If you DO NOT have a committee or composite letter available, these are some schools where one science letter will get you by. Double check these for yourself, of course.

Check the stipulations for these (science preference, other non-science faculty letters, major requirements, special permission, etc). And I would never suggest you pick your schools based on letter requirements alone. That would be as silly as selecting schools based on GPA/DAT stats only.

Alabama
Prehealth Advisor/Committee Letter (required if available) or two letters of recommendation from college professors.

Arizona
Applicants must provide a minimum of two (2) letters of recommendation. They must be from a Science Faculty or Committee Letter and a Dentist.

Midwestern- AZ
Submit three letters of recommendation. One must be from either a pre-dental advisory committee or a science professor. The others, preferentially, should be from either someone with a DO/MD, DDS/DMD degree and/or someone who can testify to the integrity and ethical standards of the applicant. Letters written by immediate family members will not be accepted.

Loma Linda
Three letters of reference including: Spiritual leader, science professor or pre–professional committee and employer.

UCLA
Minimum of three (3) letters of recommendation. Letters from objective sources who are familiar with your accomplishments could include employers, supervisors where you have volunteered, as well as college teachers, college recommendation committees, college counselors, and other appropriate individuals. If you have had significant involvement in research, a letter from your research supervisor is desirable.

UCSF
You must also send to AADSAS three letters of recommendation. One letter should be written by a college science professor, one by a dentist with whom you have volunteered, or an advisor / researcher / mentor; and one from an individual of your choice. Or, you may have one composite letter sent from a pre-professional health advisory committee in lieu of the three required letters.

Uconn
Three letters of recommendation, preferably from a pre-health advisory committee are required. While the Admissions Committee prefers letters of recommendation from faculty, other sources (employers, dentist, etc.) are acceptable.

Howard
Letters of recommendation must come from an adviser, counselor or instructor who is familiar with your academic background. Exceptions may be made for applicants who have graduated and are now working. In this situation, we will accept a letter from the applicant’s employer(s).

Florida
You need to submit either three individual letters of evaluation or one composite letter from the pre-professional committee at your school. To strengthen your application, two of the letters should be from college-level science professors who can speak personally of your work. The third letter should be from a dentist or other qualified person who knows you and your accomplishments. It can also be from another professor.

Georgia
The second option, allows four letters. One of the letters must be written and submitted by an academic professional (instructor, advisor, department chair, etc). The second letter must be from a dentist. The third and fourth letters can be submitted as personal letters and can be submitted by another academic advocate, another dentist, a supervisor, or someone who knows the applicant well enough to speak positively on the applicant's behalf.

Midwestern-IL
Two letters of recommendation
- One must be from either a predental/premedical advisory committee or a science professor
- The CDMI prefers other letters from either someone with a D.O./M.D. or D.D.S./D.M.D. degree and/or professionals who can testify to the integrity and ethical standards of the applicant
- Letters written by immediate family members are not acceptable

Iowa
Letters of evaluation are required of all applicants. Letters from an instructor, faculty member, dentist or physician, academic adviser, or employer would be appropriate. Information about non-academic characteristics of a student is most useful as academic information is already in the application.

Kentucky
Applicants are required to submit at least three (3) letters of evaluation from persons (e.g., two faculty and one dentist) who can support their admission to dental school. The letters should be written by faculty (preferred) or other individuals who know the applicant well and can share with the Admissions Committee insights about his/her achievements, personal qualities, potential for success in a rigorous curriculum, and motivation for a career in dentistry. A pre-professional committee evaluation may be substituted for the three letters.

UMKC
We require a minimum of three letters of recommendation. If there is a pre-health advisory committee at your school, they must submit a letter for you. If there is not a pre-health advisory committee but there is a pre-dental advisor, a letter must be submitted from that person. In addition, we suggest that you seek recommendations from faculty members at your school, employers, dentists you have talked with or observed, physicians, clergy, etc. Ask people who can give us information regarding your maturity and self-reliance, how you accept responsibility, your interest in dentistry, your work ethic and discipline, your critical thinking ability, what kind of student you are, your readiness for rigorous professional study, etc. You need to use your own judgment regarding the actual number of letters you submit.

Nebraska
The College of Dentistry does not require letters of recommendation, however, evaluations of a student's progress and potential by a predental adviser or committee are appreciated.

UNC
Three letters of recommendation are required:
- One (1) from a science professor.
- One (1) from a professor within your major.
- One (1) from a dental practitioner.

Ohio State
Two letters are required. A college science professor who is able to write about your academic qualities. 
 Someone who knows you very well and can write about your personal qualities. 
 Letters from employers are acceptable.

Penn
A minimum of two letters from professors or a committee letter prepared by the school’s prehealth advisor and/or a committee familiar with the applicant’s academic abilities is required. Penn Dental Medicine does not require letters from science faculty, unless you are a science major.

Tennessee
Letters of recommendation are not mandatory but are accepted through the AADSAS application ONLY. Please do not send additional letters of recommendation to the College of Dentistry. The Admissions Committee values letters of recommendation from the applicant's college professors or pre-professional committee (if one exists) above all others.

WVU
If a pre-professional committee or comprehensive recommendation is available at your institution, please request the committee or your adviser send it directly to the American Association of Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS). If no such committee or comprehensive recommendation exists at your institution and your major is one of the sciences (biology, chemistry or physics), a recommendation should be obtained from each of the sciences (biology, chemistry, and physics). If your major is not one of the sciences noted, please submit two recommendations from instructors in your major field and one from the sciences (biology, chemistry, or physics). If you cannot get a recommendation from an instructor as required above, a written request for a substitute recommendation from another instructor may be considered. The reason for the substitution must be detailed and submitted to the Office of Dental Admissions for approval. Once the guidelines above have been fulfilled, up to two additional letters from instructors, community leaders, professional persons or others who know you well are acceptable. Quality rather than quantity of such letters should be of primary importance.

Marquette
Applicants are required to submit 3 letters of recommendation. It is preferred that 2 of the letters be obtained from science professors and the third may be from someone of the applicant's choosing. The Admissions Committee will accept a committee letter in lieu of 3 individual letters.