Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

LOR

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by EliottReid, 09.30.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. EliottReid

EliottReid

Pre-Medical
    Hello,

I have worked 3 months full time in a lab + 3 other months for 10h/week doing research. The project was independent which means that I have done everything by myself and I was not supervised by anyone. The person who owns the lab let me use her lab because she was the friend of my fav prof but she was very busy so she wasn't there to help me but was very very nice and she was able to answer my questions when she was there otherwise it was the post doc who was there most of the time showing me where everything was and how to do procedures that I have never done before.

My question is whether it will look bad if I don't have a letter from the owner of the lab? She wrote an evaluation about me pointing out that I have done everything by myself so I don't see the point of asking her to write me a letter since she doesn't really know me. Also, my prof planned the project I worked on and she wrote me a letter.

NOTE: I already have letters from 3PI, two whom are my science prof, 1 english prof, 1 community service. Also, I was published for the work as the main author and I've put her name as the last author to show that she actually funded everything (I mean her lab through the USDA)

Thank you

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. HinduHammer

HinduHammer We Do Not Sow 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't think it will look bad if you don't have her write you a letter, especially since you already have 3 research PIs. Unless you're going for MD/PhD, 3 is more than enough research letters. Unless your biggest accomplishments by far were under this person, then maybe you should try and get a letter. But even then, your professor would be the more appropriate person to vouch for your experience.

In short, I think you are worrying over nothing. 3 strong research letters is more than enough. If you want to be a clinician, I suggest getting more letters from non-research oriented endeavors such as medical/clinical volunteering.

4. claduva94

claduva94 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    You don't need it. You have more than enough letters.

About the ads