Lor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr_Doc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
couple of quesitons regarding LOR's...

1. How do i get the letter heads for certain school to give to my profs for LOR's? I just looked at Westerns web site and could not find it.

2. Also, when should I ask my prof's for LOR's if I am applying to the 2008 cycle?

Thanks a bunch guys!

Members don't see this ad.

couple of quesitons regarding LOR's...

1. How do i get the letter heads for certain school to give to my profs for LOR's? I just looked at Westerns web site and could not find it.

2. Also, when should I ask my prof's for LOR's if I am applying to the 2008 cycle?

Thanks a bunch guys!

1) Ohhh, a swing and a miss. The letterhead is suppose to be from that writer's department or employer. So your prof would have their department/school's letterhead and a doc might have their hospital/practice's letterhead.

2) Now. They will be needed for your secondaries so let them know you'll need them and they can at least get started and then modify the letter as you get requirements on the secondaries.

1) Ohhh, a swing and a miss. The letterhead is suppose to be from that writer's department or employer. So your prof would have their department/school's letterhead and a doc might have their hospital/practice's letterhead.

2) Now. They will be needed for your secondaries so let them know you'll need them and they can at least get started and then modify the letter as you get requirements on the secondaries.
True, it has been my experience and others I have known that those LORs can be pretty tricky to get. Especially if you have a somewhat absent minded prof or a prof that is innundated with LORs to write. Ask right now and beat the rush.

Members don't see this ad :)
well here my situation....as a soph I applied to the medical scholars program at my school which allowed 15 students to automatically have an acceptance to Jeffereson Medical School in Philadelphia. The program required 7 LOR's which I got from 3 science , 3 non-science and 1 MD. However, I did not get accepted into the program....what should i do about LORs now? The profs that i asked were told to send the letter directly to the Medical Scholars Committee in which they were given a certain letter head....with the title of me probably being a good canidate for that particular program.

Now what should i do? Should i ask the same profs again for LOR's and have them write a new one or the same one and just change the title so it address medical school? I cant really ask new profs now that im junior , so am i screwee? Or should i talk to the head of the MSP committe and ask her to take my 7 LOR's and have them forwarded to Interfolio....any advice would be nice, thanks.

Try organizing your questions here. You are a sophomore but looking at Western's site? So these letters aren't for medical school, which you are applying for in another year or so?

You should use the same references, but all the letters MUST be revised and updated.

Research the LOR requirements for the schools to which you’re planning to apply. You’ll surely need a committee letter and probably a physician letter. If your school has a process through which you can request a committee letter then you should complete the process. Tell whichever recommenders from whom you’ll need individual letters that you’re applying. Ask them if they’ll be willing to prepare a letter and what they’ll need from you to prepare it (resume, etc). Do this now so they can start writing/revising.

Make sure that you provide each of the recommenders with a list of each school’s LOR requirements. Most schools have this info on their websites.

I hope you’ve stayed on good terms with everyone who wrote you a letter the first time around. If not, I wouldn’t ask again.

No offense OP, but is anyone else getting tired of this crap? I know, it’s my fault for responding. My head says “don’t answer, it’ll only encourage them,” but my other parts say, “damn this job is boring…maybe responding to a few SDN posts will keep me occupied until quitting time.”

I applied and I figured it out pretty much all on my own through RESEARCH and COMMON SENSE. Sometimes I seriously worry about individuals who can’t figure out how to ask for LORs, or find volunteer positions. How will these people make it through med school?

No offense OP, but is anyone else getting tired of this crap? I know, it's my fault for responding. My head says "don't answer, it'll only encourage them," but my other parts say, "damn this job is boring…maybe responding to a few SDN posts will keep me occupied until quitting time."

I applied and I figured it out pretty much all on my own through RESEARCH and COMMON SENSE. Sometimes I seriously worry about individuals who can't figure out how to ask for LORs, or find volunteer positions. How will these people make it through med school?

If you look, this happens every single year. It won't be fixed because SDN won't put necessary tools in place to fix it (such as input checking, which I've seen suggested before). Plus, it's really easy for someone to ask questions because they get responses right away. Why do work when you can make others do it for you?

cluelessness.jpg

Sometimes I seriously worry about individuals who can’t figure out how to ask for LORs, or find volunteer positions. How will these people make it through med school?

This might derail the thread completely, but one of the managers where I work is an MD/MBA and recently had to call in to tech support because she saved a word document and couldn't find where it was. Good doctor, but not tech saavy. :confused: Yet, from all of the doctors and med students I've met, this is a very rare case.

If you look, this happens every single year. It won't be fixed because SDN won't put necessary tools in place to fix it (such as input checking, which I've seen suggested before). Plus, it's really easy for someone to ask questions because they get responses right away. Why do work when you can make others do it for you?

cluelessness.jpg

Is it really a matter of easier? It scares me, but I don't think most of these posters know how to find relevent resources and collect their own info.

No, i am a Junior. When i WAS a soph i applied to MSP and did not get in which required 7 LOR's. The question i am asking is, should i use the same letter for applying to med school or not? And if i do, i guess i would need to ask each and every one of those profs to revise the letters they wrote (if they saved them that is).

No, i am a Junior. When i WAS a soph i applied to MSP and did not get in which required 7 LOR's. The question i am asking is, should i use the same letter for applying to med school or not? And if i do, i guess i would need to ask each and every one of those profs to revise the letters they wrote (if they saved them that is).

No, you wouldn't have to ask all 7. Each school has different requirements for LORs, but you don't need seven. You probably need a committee letter and a physician letter. Or, 3 basic science letters and a physician letter. Reserach it and then decide who you want to ask for LORs this time around.

ok. One last question, sorry for being annoying, do letters have to be from a prof with a phd or can it be from any prof or maybe even a ta? Because some of my letters that i asked for were from ta's.

ok. One last question, sorry for being annoying, do letters have to be from a prof with a phd or can it be from any prof or maybe even a ta? Because some of my letters that i asked for were from ta's.

It will vary by school. Check the requirements for each school b4 you ask for your letters. You might not be able to ask the same 2-3 people to write letters for all the schools.

Obviously, any letter would have more weight coming from a PhD.

It looks like PCOM does not even require a letter from a professor, just one letter from the committee, dean, or advisor and one from an MD or DO. If im not mistaken that is...