LORs envelopes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you guys give addressed stamped envelopes for your recommenders to send letters in? Most of my recommenders have agreed to this, but one of them said that it looked more professional if he used university envelopes and postage... should I ask all my recommenders to do this?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that an SASE looks better, unless a recommendor insists otherwise. As long as the letter is on letterhead, I don't think that it matters. The envelope will be thrown away before anyone important reads the letters anyway. I did type the address on the envelope, though.

Originally posted by JBJ
I think that an SASE looks better, unless a recommendor insists otherwise. As long as the letter is on letterhead, I don't think that it matters. The envelope will be thrown away before anyone important reads the letters anyway. I did type the address on the envelope, though.

The envelope is the first thing that's tossed (and hopefully the only thing), so not that important what kind, but typing is good just to make sure it's computer-readable by USPS. Also it can be helpful to put:

123 Any St.
New York NY 10019

instead of:

123 Any St.
New York, NY 10019

It's easier for the scanner to read it if you don't put the comma and put a second space in between city/state and state/zip.

-RA

Members don't see this ad :)
Street Philosopher,
Wrong thread...we're talking about ENVELOPES here...stamps are in a league of their own...

Originally posted by KatieJune
one of them said that it looked more professional if he used university envelopes and postage... should I ask all my recommenders to do this?