LORs' expiration date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr panda

Wicked bun
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Albeit I am still far from applying to med schools, I already think about LORs. The question is – can I ask my prof to write me a letter and then store it somewhere for 2-3 years? For how long are the letters valid?

Members don't see this ad.

A letter that is 2-3 years old will not be viewed as helpful in anyway. Are you the same person you were 3 years ago?

You would get the letter and store it either in interfolio or your school's premed office if they provide a service
You then keep in touch with professor throughout your time in college
You then ask them to update letter at time of application
Thank you! What is the best way to keep in touch with prof?

Members don't see this ad :)
:meh: Just wanted to know what and how often should I text or may be meet in person.
I have been out of college for a year now, and will be applying during next year's cycle. Three of my letter writers I've asked for a recommendation for a job (that I got probably thanks to them), and have only recently emailed an old PI congratulating them on getting tenure.

Just don't be creepy about it - if you have something to share that you think they'd be proud of (or if they did something along the same lines), then shoot them an email. Otherwise, professors understand that you're no longer in college and that you have other things going on. I wouldn't overthink this

Reactions: 1 user
A letter that is 2-3 years old will not be viewed as helpful in anyway. Are you the same person you were 3 years ago?

That's why you scatter new LORs in. I wouldn't be surprised if a non-trad was using letters, especially ones from science and non-science that are several years old, as long as you have some new letters in the mix, it should be fine.