LORs for Non-Trads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

URMfemaleMPH

issa
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm only an applicant this current cycle, but I'm non-traditional. I would advise you to start thinking about schools (or areas) that you would like to apply to now and review their requirements for non-traditional letters. I got a total of 6 to make sure I met everyone's requirements and I still fell short on some (e.g. not having a DO/MD letter for DO applications). I got letters from undergrad and grad (all science profs/research faculty), and post-college volunteering experiences (to cover non-academic stuff; also one from a RN to cover a medical professional which some schools like).

Some schools may not require you to have letters from undergrad, but I think that having at least one (sci or non-sci I guess) will show how you how you handled yourself during undergrad course work, which is the GPA they care most about anyway. Sorry if I'm not making any sense, but each school is different. However most schools want academic/science letters no matter who you are, and depending on mission statements, others may want more letters from continued relationships you've had (old/new faculty, work & volunteer supervisors, etc.).

TLDR: Those possible letters from your MPH would probably be fine especially because they're academic, but if you can try to get a variety (MD/DO, volunteering/research, etc.) & research schools in advance you will be in better shape to meet individual school requirements.

EDIT: I'm mid-20s and 3 years removed from undergrad, & almost 2 removed from grad so I also might not be the purest definition of non-traditional lol but that's what I would be considered at most of the schools I applied to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user