LORs for Re-applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiredoc12

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am currently waitlisted at one medical school, so I am preparing to re-apply. My school had a pre-health advising committee, and they wrote a committee letter. However, I honestly think the letter they wrote may have hurt me. Do you know how much schools value committee letters, especially since I have been out of school for a year? Also, should I ask my other letter writers to update their letter?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

My school refused to write me a committee letter because “they didn’t want to give medical schools the wrong idea.” Then I was given the, “you see, if we wrote everybody a committee letter...” speech. Lmao

In any case, I’m now a M2. So obviously committee letters don’t carry nearly as much weight as pre-med health advisors imply.

Reactions: 1 user
@aspiredoc12 in regards to your committee letter, you may have to call your university and try to ask about how strong it was without asking what the professors said. I just attended a meeting this last week with a school that did not accept me this go around and they instructed me that committee letters could be used again but that personal LOR will have to be redone, even if provided by the same individual. I recommend having someone write you one for this past year if you've had any new experiences since your last application cycle. This was n = 1 on admission committees providing me feedback but I presume most universities follow a similar mindset regarding this.

Reactions: 1 user