LOR's: How to cover all of your bases for MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leverp2000

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For MD/PhD, how many recommendation letters should you get to cover all of the requirements from various schools. Currently, I have two recs from my research advisor (one aimed at MD and one focusing on research), one rec from a doctor, one rec from another science faculty member (focusing on both research and medicine), and one from non-science faculty member. Will this be enough to cover all of the schools recommendation requirements? Also, do some schools require recommendations from all research advisors or only science faculty members?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

leverp2000 said:
For MD/PhD, how many recommendation letters should you get to cover all of the requirements from various schools. Currently, I have two recs from my research advisor (one aimed at MD and one focusing on research), one rec from a doctor, one rec from another science faculty member (focusing on both research and medicine), and one from non-science faculty member. Will this be enough to cover all of the schools recommendation requirements? Also, do some schools require recommendations from all research advisors or only science faculty members?

Thanks.

Hi Leverp2000,

The schools I applied to only required 4. I got 3 from science profs I had taken classes from, knew well and had worked with as either TA or advisee and one from my research supervisor. Two schools "recommended" a clinical letter, but I didn't submit one and still got in.

Best of luck!

Hmm, so does what I have suffice or should I get more recs from science profs or a recommendation from my other research supervisor (I did one summer of research for him)?