LORs not considered a science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bell0509

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an e-mail saying that LORs have been recieved but will not be accepted b/c they are not from science faculty. BUT my major was Psychobiology, so all of my upper-division science courses including
neuro-anatomy, neuroscience, psychobiology of sleep, etc. were administered through the dept. of psych. AHH!!

Has anyone else gone through this issue. My school considered them science, why not adcoms? And yes I already called, they said to follow directions
:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

ack. just re-read the OP's comments....with the LOR's it doesn't matter if the course is even cross-listed with the bio dept. unless the profs were bio profs or the class was joint-taught. Sorry!! i tried to do the same thing with my biopsych class (i'm a psych major with a neural sciences concentration- the conc. is shared with the bio dept.), but my pre-med advisor stopped me.

i ended up asking a random bio prof to write one for me. i took a class with him, but there were a lot of people in the class, so he barely knew me....:rolleyes: that's the beauty of committe letters, though...they can gloss things over a little bit, even though the letter is still there. i guess it might be too late to do that and get a science prof letter, huh?

i'm really sorry! i hope you find some kind of solution!

Last year, when I applied, I had all these math letters but they counted as non-science. This actually worked out for me cuz I was lacking non-sci letters (I was a math/physics major). I think most schools only accept physics, bio, and chem as science letters, not even math counts (even though AMCAS counts math as part of the science GPA)

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school psychobiology courses are listed as PSYCH, but it is known that they are sciences... only psychobio majors take them, not psych majors... And they interchange the neuroscience professors w/ the psychbio professors for some classes. I listed the classes on amcas as bios...
These professors know me REALLY well, and wrote great letters...
I really don't want to have to go ask for a generic "I don't remember this person, but my records say she did well in my class " from a "true science". Fun stuff I tell you, who would have thought that memorizing the location of hippocampus in a sagital view vs. coronal view would not be related to science.

back when i was applying, one school wasn't going to take my engineering school recs b/c they weren't "science", which was defined as on AMCAS to be Math, Bio, Chem, etc. I couldn't imagine engineering not being a science so instead of getting some random professor to write me a rec, I sent a letter to the dean of admissions saying this was dumb. 2 weeks later, I got a postcard "Your application is now complete. etc. etc."

So try that rather than waste your recs.

i understand that psychology isn't considered a hard science. u may find it difficult to convice someone otherwise - kind of like trying to turn philosophy into biology, etc.

it may be helpful if u get some LOR's from your chem, physics, or biology professors, since most schools require at least two letters of rec from a bonafide science faculty.

this is just a wild idea.

You know how many profs have TAs write the letters, and then profs review and sign it?

well, couldn't you have a psych prof you know write the letter, and then have some bio prof just review and sign it? Assume both the profs would agree to such.