LORs requirement for residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmitrinyr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably someone has asked this question before, but I'll ask it again. It states that Residency programs require you to have 3-4 LORs in your application. Now does this mean that if you don't have at least 3 LORs then they will not upload your application or does this mean that eventually they want you to have 3-4 LORs. The reason why I'm asking is that I have 2 LORs from my 3rd year core rotations and I'm going to get at least 2 more LORs but not until september when I start my 4th year. Does that mean that programs will not look at my application because of the lack of LORs? I will send in my letters as soon as they're written (hopefully sent out by early october). There is no way for me to get another LOR before Sept 1st. I just don't want to have programs count me out because I don't have 1 letter. Does everyone really have at least 3 LORs from their 5 cores in 3rd year?

Thanks guys

dmitri

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the programs but they will d/l your app regardless of how many LORs you have or how complete your file is. If you've applied, they'll d/l your app. You may get interviews w/ 0-2 letters in your file (depending on the rest of your stats) or they may wait until it's more complete. In any event, Nov. 1 is when the MSPE comes out so many places don't invite before that. No need to worry about it. Sooner is better than later of course but as long as you have 1 or 2 up there early you'll be fine.

thanks for the info brooklyneric.

Another quick question: Once you apply to a program can you change the LORs that they get access to?

thanks for the info brooklyneric.

Another quick question: Once you apply to a program can you change the LORs that they get access to?

Yes, w/ the caveat that once they d/l it and put it in your file, it's there, regardless of whether you un-assign it and assign a new letter to a program. Some programs will d/l and file all the letters you assign them and others will only file the first 3 or 4. So what this means in practice is that once you assign a letter to a program and they d/l it, it's in your file, no take backs. You can use this to your advantage though if you want an extra letter in your file...it doesn't always work, but I got an 80% hit rate 2y ago.

Once you apply, we get all the information you have supplied already.

Most programs create a "filter" to sort out incomplete applications. Each program decides what constitutes an incomplete app, but many progs assume that students are "saving" a letter for their 4th year Sub-I, which often is written after the application is submitted. So, you shouldn't wait to apply, and you should get your letters in as soon as they are available.

Can you change letters? Yes and no. Once you've sent 4 letters, if you try to send a fifth the system will ask you which letter you want to "cancel". On my end, I'll see all 5 letters with one of them marked "cancelled". Personally, I don't care very much, but it usually is a small red flag -- if the instructions say 4 letters and you send 5, it simply suggests you don't follow instructions well.

My advice: Get three letters from your third year, and one from your fourth. If one of the third year letters falls through (i.e. the doc forgets to write it) you still have your three letters -- if all are written you have 4.

thanks a lot for all of the info.

Also, this question goes out to the program directors and associate directors out there: How much attention do you give towards the personal statement? Thanks.

if a program requires 3 LOR's with the application and if you supplied an additional 4th LOR will it show as cancelled on your side ? is that a red flag there ?.... thanks

if a program requires 3 LOR's with the application and if you supplied an additional 4th LOR will it show as cancelled on your side ? is that a red flag there ?.... thanks

No, and no.

Some programs require 3 letters, some 4. ERAS allows you to download 4 regardless of what the program requirements are. Programs that require 3 are unlikely to be upset if you send 4. Letters are only "cancelled" if you try to send a 5th letter.

some places they say that additional letters are welcome. What do we do then? Mail them? And is it good to send more letters, like 5-6?