LOR's returned

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bikini Princess

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For last year's applicants:

Did anyone have their LOR packet returned by a school for not having it in the proper format? For example, for sending 4 letters instead of 3, etc.

I've heard most schools accept additional lor's, even if they request only 2 or 3. However, has anyone had a school complain about extra LOR's being sent?

I don't want to call every single school and ask how strict their guidelines are, maybe I will need to though.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, NYMC emailed me because I only included 1 biology lor.

So, I contacted a professor who I did independent genetics research for 2 years and he is now writing one, sending it to the pre-med committee, who is sending it to NYMC. With any luck this should all get done by hanakah.

Tulane says 3 and only 3. So that's what I sent them. I have no idea if they'd actually throw out or return extra letters. Now if the packet you're sending if from your pre-med committee, then I don't think the limit applies. It's only for people not using a pre-med committee (usually becasue their school doesn't have one) and sending individual LOR's instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called Tulane and they mentioend that AS LONG AS it's in the same packet (premed committee or not) that's cool.

I am hoping the same applies to all schools.

whoa, this actually happened to you? What school was this? :confused: sorry BP, that sucks. i know some schools were explicitly "dont send any extras or we'll trash them all" when i got their secondaries (i think tulane was one). i'd think you'd find on a school's online prospectus whether or not they adhere to such strict guidelines. i've personally seen schools have been pretty liberal, i sent like 2 of the 4 ones Jeff actually wants along with 3 others and i'm interviewing there.

i've never heard of anyone's letter packet being returned outright, it seems like they'd just reject you if they didn't like them.

I think that just because a school says they want two letters doesn't mean they will throw away extras, unless they specifically say *only* two, but that's just my $0.02.

Originally posted by efex101
Okay stupid question but why send more than they ask for?

One of the schools that I applied to asked for 1 science letter, so I assumed that they really only wanted one. Later, when I atttended an open house, they explained to me that one letter was the minimum for your application to be complete, and that you should send additional letters. Their secondary made it seem like you should only send the one, and never mentioned any other letters at all. I think it probably is best to contact each school individually and ask.