1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

LoRs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NP545, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Few questions about Rec letters...

- One science professor said that he will write a rec letter to the top 5 people in his class with the best grade, if they ask. Regardless of whether he personally knows you or not. If I finish within the top 5, should I get one from him or should I not ask since he doesn't personally know me? I'd go to office hours, but I find the class pretty easy and nothing much really to talk about with him. I won't be alone in office hours though since it's a large class and others have questions for him.

-Do I need a committee letter if my school offers one? I already have 5 but wanted to know if committee is mandatory

-Does a LoR from a science lab TA count as a LoR from a science class? Or do science LoRs need to be from the actual course, not labs?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mimelim

mimelim Vascular Surgery
    Rocket Scientist Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would consider a letter from that type of professor to be a step above toilet paper. Very very weak.

Science letters are from science based professors. They do not need be from a 'class'.

4. The lab TA is a grad student, not a professor. Is this okay?

5. mimelim

mimelim Vascular Surgery
    Rocket Scientist Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician