Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
15,128
157
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Does it matter how old they are? I went to a private college before transfering to my state school. At my state school most of my science classes have had 200+ people in them and most the proffs dont even have a clue of who i am. I am certain I could get some great LOR's from my first school but they would be a bit dated..
 

tkim

10 cc's cordrazine
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
7,628
368
New England
Status
Attending Physician
Cerberus said:
Does it matter how old they are? I went to a private college before transfering to my state school. At my state school most of my science classes have had 200+ people in them and most the proffs dont even have a clue of who i am. I am certain I could get some great LOR's from my first school but they would be a bit dated..
Cerb, some my LORs were from profs I took classes in the late 80's ... Though I think it would be better - all other things being equal (strength of LOR, etc), that you use the more recent ones.
 

uclacrewdude

the uclacrewdude abides
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2003
9,796
5
39
maddox.xmission.net
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Cerberus said:
Does it matter how old they are? I went to a private college before transfering to my state school. At my state school most of my science classes have had 200+ people in them and most the proffs dont even have a clue of who i am. I am certain I could get some great LOR's from my first school but they would be a bit dated..
i think content overrules anything, but ask yourself if you did anything impressive/medically related in your first 2 yrs anyway. ie, though its a weeder class, getting an A+ in bio101 does not a good doctor make; however, getting an A in bio31290 "rational drug design" (something you obviously would take much later in your student career) would be better indicated for good future physicians. basically, while you might get more personal LORs from private school, LORs from UT are probably gonna have more relevance to your medical mission, simply b/c more advanced classes delve into the core of medicine than intro classes can.

avoid getting more than one "character" letter, ie, a letter where all a person can do is say blah blah blah yeah theyve got what it takes to be a doctor. LORs from people who youve achieved something with/for are much more superior: your crew coach, research mentor, volunteer/clinic director, and a prof youve had multiple classes [and concurrently, successes] with.
 
About the Ads

missbonnie

floating
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2002
778
1
Status
Medical Student
Cerberus said:
Does it matter how old they are? I went to a private college before transfering to my state school. At my state school most of my science classes have had 200+ people in them and most the proffs dont even have a clue of who i am. I am certain I could get some great LOR's from my first school but they would be a bit dated..
how old are we talking about?
Mine were mostly from around 1996-1998 when I was in college for the 2004 app cycle, and they were fine. I got some recent letters from supervisors and bosses but no recent academic ones.

b
 

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
15,128
157
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
uclacrewdude said:
i think content overrules anything, but ask yourself if you did anything impressive/medically related in your first 2 yrs anyway. ie, though its a weeder class, getting an A+ in bio101 does not a good doctor make; however, getting an A in bio31290 "rational drug design" (something you obviously would take much later in your student career) would be better indicated for good future physicians. basically, while you might get more personal LORs from private school, LORs from UT are probably gonna have more relevance to your medical mission, simply b/c more advanced classes delve into the core of medicine than intro classes can.

avoid getting more than one "character" letter, ie, a letter where all a person can do is say blah blah blah yeah theyve got what it takes to be a doctor. LORs from people who youve achieved something with/for are much more superior: your crew coach, research mentor, volunteer/clinic director, and a prof youve had multiple classes [and concurrently, successes] with.
Well, the thing is I am definitely getting an LOR from one of my proffs there since I have remained friends with him and still talk to him regularly(i have no doubt he'll write a great LOR). And I don't think i'll have much of a problem getting an LOR from one of my philosophy professors this semester (the guy said "anyone who wants to see how a philo paper should be written should read this guys"). That puts me at one science LOR and one nonscience LOR. I'd planned on using a math professor as my second science LOR but unfortunately it seems that a few schools (utmem, temple, cornell) dont consider classes like differential equations to be science courses. I was going to have an organic proff write me an LOR but considering that i asked him for one when I applied to summer research programs and he assured me he'd write one but never ended up sending it off, I am a bit reluctant to ask him again...
 

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
15,128
157
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
missbonnie said:
how old are we talking about?
Mine were mostly from around 1996-1998 when I was in college for the 2004 app cycle, and they were fine. I got some recent letters from supervisors and bosses but no recent academic ones.

b
i dont guess its so much that they are old, its rather that they are from the beginning of my college career.
 

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
5,470
8
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status
Attending Physician
Cerberus said:
i dont guess its so much that they are old, its rather that they are from the beginning of my college career.
that prolly doesnt matter. i mean if the guy can talk about your character and things like that along with the mandatory "yeah hes a good students" you should be fine. LORs are mainly to see what other professionals think about you...not meant to see what your ranking in the class was.
 

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
15,128
157
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
jlee9531 said:
that prolly doesnt matter. i mean if the guy can talk about your character and things like that along with the mandatory "yeah hes a good students" you should be fine. LORs are mainly to see what other professionals think about you...not meant to see what your ranking in the class was.
would there be a way for me to mention why I am using references from professors at the beginning of college?
 

brats800

cheesehead
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2003
805
14
MadTown
Status
Attending Physician
you shouldn't need to explain why. if you are using a letter from your frosh year, the letter should be good enough on its own to explain why you wanted to use it.
 

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
15,128
157
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
brats800 said:
you shouldn't need to explain why. if you are using a letter from your frosh year, the letter should be good enough on its own to explain why you wanted to use it.
gotya, thanks
 

jacksonchan85

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2003
108
0
Visit site
Status
i have the same problem too - 1 science / 1 non-science, and 2 from research, but i need one more science letter from faculty who have graded me, and it's proving a lot harder than expected

got shafted by organic and physical chem profs even though i got A's in those classes

sigh ......don't know what im going to do now, basically out of options

do you think schools will accept letters from science faculty if you worked in their labs (but they didnt grade you)??

any help would be appreciated

PS: good luck on saturday Cerebrus :)

Cerberus said:
Well, the thing is I am definitely getting an LOR from one of my proffs there since I have remained friends with him and still talk to him regularly(i have no doubt he'll write a great LOR). And I don't think i'll have much of a problem getting an LOR from one of my philosophy professors this semester (the guy said "anyone who wants to see how a philo paper should be written should read this guys"). That puts me at one science LOR and one nonscience LOR. I'd planned on using a math professor as my second science LOR but unfortunately it seems that a few schools (utmem, temple, cornell) dont consider classes like differential equations to be science courses. I was going to have an organic proff write me an LOR but considering that i asked him for one when I applied to summer research programs and he assured me he'd write one but never ended up sending it off, I am a bit reluctant to ask him again...
 
About the Ads