LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swans

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having some difficulty deciding who to ask for LORs and how many LORs most medical schools require. So far I plan on asking for letters from..
-the oncologist that I have been shadowing for the past few months
-my anatomy/physiology professor...who is also the professor that I have published research with
-(Should I ask one of my closest friends?)
-I also worked tutoring bio and chem at my college and plan on asking my boss at the center for a letter

...Who else should I consider asking?

Members don't see this ad.

Also should I consider asking another physician for a LOR?

um you need 2 science(math, physicsn bio or chem..make sure they know you well and will write favorably. also you need a nonscience. for a total of 3 required.

you also at many schools have the option of 3 additional which can be anything..do not ask a friend...thats a bad idea in general. but the letter from your boss..could be useful as well as the oncologist letter. but make sure its of substance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is it a terrible idea to get a LOR from a friend. I feel that a letter from a childhood friend would best reflect who I am and why I am a suitable applicant.

Why is it a terrible idea to get a LOR from a friend. I feel that a letter from a childhood friend would best reflect who I am and why I am a suitable applicant.
Because friends, unlike bosses, volunteer coordinators, or professors, are pretty much required by definition to say nice things about you.

No LORs from friends or relatives. Pretty much a rule.

um you need 2 science(math, physicsn bio or chem..make sure they know you well and will write favorably. also you need a nonscience. for a total of 3 required.
Agree with kerplunk (great handle, btw).

Some schools require two science LORs, but some requrest Biology, Chemistry, or Physics professors specifically. For those schools, you'd want to contact them and make sure they'd take an A&P.

But definitely get two science LORs arne one nonscience LORs. Add to that your oncologist LOR and you should be golden at most schools.