• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

Swans

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm having some difficulty deciding who to ask for LORs and how many LORs most medical schools require. So far I plan on asking for letters from..
-the oncologist that I have been shadowing for the past few months
-my anatomy/physiology professor...who is also the professor that I have published research with
-(Should I ask one of my closest friends?)
-I also worked tutoring bio and chem at my college and plan on asking my boss at the center for a letter

...Who else should I consider asking?

Swans

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Also should I consider asking another physician for a LOR?

kerplunk112

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
um you need 2 science(math, physicsn bio or chem..make sure they know you well and will write favorably. also you need a nonscience. for a total of 3 required.

you also at many schools have the option of 3 additional which can be anything..do not ask a friend...thats a bad idea in general. but the letter from your boss..could be useful as well as the oncologist letter. but make sure its of substance.

About the Ads

Swans

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Why is it a terrible idea to get a LOR from a friend. I feel that a letter from a childhood friend would best reflect who I am and why I am a suitable applicant.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Why is it a terrible idea to get a LOR from a friend. I feel that a letter from a childhood friend would best reflect who I am and why I am a suitable applicant.
Because friends, unlike bosses, volunteer coordinators, or professors, are pretty much required by definition to say nice things about you.

No LORs from friends or relatives. Pretty much a rule.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
um you need 2 science(math, physicsn bio or chem..make sure they know you well and will write favorably. also you need a nonscience. for a total of 3 required.
Agree with kerplunk (great handle, btw).

Some schools require two science LORs, but some requrest Biology, Chemistry, or Physics professors specifically. For those schools, you'd want to contact them and make sure they'd take an A&P.

But definitely get two science LORs arne one nonscience LORs. Add to that your oncologist LOR and you should be golden at most schools.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.