1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

LOR's

Discussion in 'Ob/Gyn' started by deucerp, May 16, 2007.

1. deucerp

deucerp Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do you think all 3 letters should come from Ob's? If not, what other specialty would you choose your 3rd letter from? Thanks in advance

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CaliOBGynee

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Many programs are specific about who they want letters from. I recommend looking at the websites of each program you're considering applying to. Some require a letter from the Chairman of your OB department. Some require an Internal Medicine letter. Others are fine with getting all of the letters from ob/gyn. Then when you submit your application through ERAS you can designate which letters you want to attach to a certain program's application.

4. calot's 3angle

5+ Year Member

since ob/gyn (whether the surgeons want to admit it or not :p ) is a surgical specialty, i was advised that a letter from gen surg or a surgical subspec would also be good. my letters were: ob/gyn chairman's letter, internal medicine (from what i remember, yale is the only program that requires a medicine letter), general surgery, research mentor letter. i actually didn't have anything other than the chairman's letter for ob/gyn but the rest of my application screamed women's health so i don't think it made much of a difference.

good luck! :luck:

5. vegetables

2+ Year Member

I really don't think it matters. I had 2 OB (1 was the chair) and 2 family medicine letters. And one of those fam med letters was from someone who did a lot of OB and so she could evaluate me on that stuff.

But, I think the real point is: As long as you have very strong letters, you're good. If you have the choice between knowing you'll get OK letters from all OB's vs. awesome letters from 1 OB and 2 other specialties, go with the latter. You want your letters to scream how good you are!