LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deucerp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think all 3 letters should come from Ob's? If not, what other specialty would you choose your 3rd letter from? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Many programs are specific about who they want letters from. I recommend looking at the websites of each program you're considering applying to. Some require a letter from the Chairman of your OB department. Some require an Internal Medicine letter. Others are fine with getting all of the letters from ob/gyn. Then when you submit your application through ERAS you can designate which letters you want to attach to a certain program's application.

since ob/gyn (whether the surgeons want to admit it or not :p ) is a surgical specialty, i was advised that a letter from gen surg or a surgical subspec would also be good. my letters were: ob/gyn chairman's letter, internal medicine (from what i remember, yale is the only program that requires a medicine letter), general surgery, research mentor letter. i actually didn't have anything other than the chairman's letter for ob/gyn but the rest of my application screamed women's health so i don't think it made much of a difference.

good luck! :luck:

I really don't think it matters. I had 2 OB (1 was the chair) and 2 family medicine letters. And one of those fam med letters was from someone who did a lot of OB and so she could evaluate me on that stuff.

But, I think the real point is: As long as you have very strong letters, you're good. If you have the choice between knowing you'll get OK letters from all OB's vs. awesome letters from 1 OB and 2 other specialties, go with the latter. You want your letters to scream how good you are!