LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lytesnsyrens

The Phoenix...
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ok i gotta question here regarding LOR's. When do I need to start getting them? I am taking the MCAT in August, and only have bio and some chem outta the way for my premed req's. I'm just not sure when I should start asking around for them. Also, I'm not very close with my prof's but I do work in a hospital where i can get LOR's from the docs. Do I need some from my professors too? Thanks to anyone that can help.

selah :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

You should start making contacts asap. You should definately request (casually) LORs at least six months before you apply and formally at least 3 months before. You should try to shadow multiple doctors and have them write LORs as soon as possible. I waited too long and thus slowed up my application. Don't make the same mistake as me. Always request more letters than you need. If you have a Pre-medical committee on campus have them help you decide which ones are the best (most flatterning). Never read the letters yourself, it shows bad form. But there is nothing wrong with having a member of your school's committee read them and help decide which ones are the best.

Good luck,

WannabeDO

WannabeDO,

thanks for the advice. I work in an ER and I plan to take the MCAT in AUgust, so I suppose that means I should be asking the docs for those letters now. I'll get on that. Are you in DO school yet? If you have anymore advice feel free to share with me. thanks again

Here are my $0.02... If you're not planning on applying until next fall, I would take this time to focus on your premed courses and, after the first of the year, to study for your MCAT. If you haven't finished your physics and organic chem, it's going to be hard to teach yourself the info you need for the test, but I'd make certain that you're familiar with the format and the questions... Take a lot of practice tests!!!

As to the letters of recommendation, I think it's probably a good idea to start making contacts now, but it's a bit premature to be asking about letters of recommendation. The key to the whole thing is to get your AACOMAS in as early as possible. Since you won't be taking your MCAT until August, you won't get secondaries until later in the application cycle. If you can manage it, I'd take the MCAT in April. If you're certain about August, I wouldn't really mention a LOR to your mentors until you get closer to needing them. The timeschedule that I'd suggest is something like this (if you're certain that you must take the MCAT in August):

NOW:
1. Spend time with a DO!!!!! (this is a must!!)
2. Start looking at the schools and making some decisions about which ones you like and why.

SPRING:
1. Complete your AACOMAS application and file it as soon as possible. This includes transcripts from your school(s). This insures that your app is dependent solely upon your Aug. MCAT coming in.
2. STUDY FOR MCAT!!!!!
3. Before school gets out, mention to your professors that you'll be applying to med school in the fall. Ask about their willingness to write you a GOOD recommendation.

AUGUST:
1. Take your MCAT.
2. When school starts back, touch bases with your professors and docs whom you should have talked to about recs by now. Remind them about your application and tell them that you'll be getting secondaries (hopefully) toward late October. When these secondaries come in, get the forms to these people ASAP.

This is all a drawn out way to say, you need to plan for your recommendations, but not really to do anything about the letters themselves right now. Cultivate relationships with the people you would like letters from, but don't request them yet. You won't need the letters until you get to the secondary apps.

I hope this helps!

Take care,
John