LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaserJet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The premed committee at my school limits the number of LORs we can submit to three. I have more than three professors who are willing to write me a LOR. I'm trying to decide which three I should choose:

1. Chemistry professor-taught me a graduate level biochemistry class.
2. Chemistry professor-current research advisor.
3. Biology professor-worked for as an undergraduate research assistant.
4. English professor-told me that I was the best student he had in 30 years of teaching. Also did some volunteer work with him.(Doesn't have a PhD)
5. Archaeology professor-got an A+ in his class but doesn't know me that well.

Members don't see this ad.

I would go with the English professor, current research advisor, toss up between 1 & 3 (whichever one knows you the best). Just my opinion. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I also agree. It won't be the titles that matter so much (just make sure they're actually faculty from the university and not a TA), but the strength of the letter. Get them from professors who either really know you well or can really describe how great you are. So knock out 5.

You don't want a letter from someone who doesn't know you. Eliminate 5. You do need, and most schools require, a letter from non-science faculty, so definitely stick with 4.

I'll admit I don't know squat about pre-med committees, but if they only allow you so many letters, you can still have your writers submit them to amcas. You can have as many freakin letters as you want on there, and then select which letters go to which schools. (I don't know if you can break down a committee letter or how that works though, my school doesn't have them)

I would choose 2,3, and 4, since you've interacted with them and took on responsibility, so they should have more compelling things to say about your character and intellect.

Like what's said, you can send a lot of letters to AMCAS, then decide what schools should receive what letters.

You could also ask letters from all of them and store them in a file holder/storage service, either at your school's career center letter service or this commercial one that most med schools trust: Interfolio. Then you can send letters whenever you want at your disposal from the letter service, without re-requesting from your writers.

For the non-science letter, usually the schools are more lax about if the letter's from a PhD or someone with a professor title. As long as the person's a faculty (like employed by the school and teaches), then you should be fine.