Lose the nose piercing?

Started by jeanneson
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wouldn't make such a big deal out of a nose ring; at least you CAN take it out. I'm starting medical school in a few weeks and I have a full sleeve on one arm and partial sleeve on the other. I realize that I'm pretty much doomed to a career filled with long-sleeved dress shirts and white coats. I wish I could just take them off when I need to but I can't. Oh well, big deal. You need to try not to give people the opportunity to pass judgement but you can't always avoid it.
 
So I guess the fact that it wasn't an issue on my other 21 rotations doesn't figure in to this then?

Actually, on that rotation the resident who asked me to remove it was concerned that he'd get flack from attendings if I wore it. The next month I wore it at the same facility with the same attendings and nobody had a problem with it.

I'm sorry that some people are so short sighted to think that something like a piece of jewelry in-and-of-itself is trashy. I look like a nice, normal, average woman. I perform well in the clinical setting, and, fortunately, those I have worked with have decided how to treat me based on all of that rather than the very small nosering.

👍

There are too many conservative mores floating around. It's time to break those molds. Many people are capable of looking classy and professional with taboo hardware and ink on their bodies. Certainly going above and beyond with excess ware may not look presentable, but little things here and there not only add to the allure of the physician, but also add another level of nonverbal communication to a patient that may not feel as comfortable with a more conservative looking physician. IMO, a more conservative look denotes someone that is too serious. However, that little stud might open up a patient that much more when it comes down extracting as much info as you can, especially if they consider themselves outcasts.
 
Ditch the ring. If you happen to have a conservative interview you might as well throw your app out. My republican father has never hired anyone with a facial piercing and refuses to do so.

Not saying it's fair but jsut be on the safe side. Or just take it out for the interview at least.

Bump on this.

My dad who runs a clinic have told me several times he would never hire someone with visable piercings or tatoos.

In my personal opinion I really don't like girls with facial piercings, but I would not say to someone they should not be allowed to wear it or not, because that is their choice.. But for an interview I would probably don't like if someone showed up with it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sigh i've always wanted to get my nose pierced cause it would look nice but i'm pakistani and won't do it because i dont want people to think its a "cultural/marriage" thing. i am not cultural, and want it just because.
 
Bump on this.

My dad who runs a clinic have told me several times he would never hire someone with visable piercings or tatoos.

In my personal opinion I really don't like girls with facial piercings, but I would not say to someone they should not be allowed to wear it or not, because that is their choice.. But for an interview I would probably don't like if someone showed up with it.

No offense but if you're Norwegian I'm assuming your dad is also Norwegian and practices in Norway... I don't think that's reflective of American standards.

I'm sure it's different in the Midwest vs. schools in NYC or the East coast in general but I've rarely heard anyone say "oh I HATE all people with piercings".
 
No offense but if you're Norwegian I'm assuming your dad is also Norwegian and practices in Norway... I don't think that's reflective of American standards.

I'm sure it's different in the Midwest vs. schools in NYC or the East coast in general but I've rarely heard anyone say "oh I HATE all people with piercings".


Oh sorry, I missed the "American opinions only sign" only in this thread 🙄 And please tell me what you know about Norwegian standards compared to American standards.

Edit: No offense
 
Personally, I don't think there is any issue with having a nose ring (stud). I remember reading a med student's blog entry, on MedScape, about having her hair dyed "crazy" colors, and discussing what kind of biases may exist, if any, and whether it was appropriate. She continued to keep her hair like that through her clinicals. If it's something that truly is dear to you, then keep it.

I'm not going to begin to judge another person's attachment to tats, piercings, etc.

Jus my 2 cents
 
Skrew the conservative @ssholes; keep the nose piercing.

You're a doctor, and so it's unprofessional? F-- that! As an individual, the only social code I care to live by, is my own. I can't stand people who get so worked up because they are "doctors". Really, it is just what you do for a living. Period.
 
I'm sure it's different in the Midwest vs. schools in NYC or the East coast in general but I've rarely heard anyone say "oh I HATE all people with piercings".

I'm from an extremely liberal part of Texas, laugh if you must, and regardless of what people pretend, piercings say an incredible amount about a person even if it's not what you intended to say. And often that's exactly what their intention was, to make a statement, to stand out, to get attention at how unique they are because they're a pretty little snowflake. The only problem is they get equal amounts of both good and bad attention. For example, there is no tattoo that will ever be universally appreciated even by people who love tattoos.

The fact is in significant parts of this country, a tattoo or piercing, to quote Megan Fox, "Is a big F you to everybody who ever told me not to get one." And it's read loud and clear.

I have a few tattoos and I understand this thoroughly, and it absolutely baffles me as to how others don't grasp it.
 
Oh sorry, I missed the "American opinions only sign" only in this thread 🙄 And please tell me what you know about Norwegian standards compared to American standards.

Edit: No offense

What I know is that the opinion and standard you gave don't apply to northeastern US, but may apply elsewhere. The poster was pointing out that your cautions about facial piercings may not have external validity, especially when the medical education systems/cultures are quite different. What would be a yellow or red flag against someone's professionalism in one place may not apply at all to another
 
So I´m starting med school this August and I´m wondering, should I lose the nose piercing before having contact with patients? It´s small, discreet (I think) diamond stud and I quite like it. However, I´ll lose it if it´s necessary to look professional. What´s the thinking on this sort of thing nowadays? Anyone been in a similar situation?

I think it's absolutely fine to have nose piercing, although discreet. Now if it looks like the picture below then we have a problem...

220px-XN_Bos_taurus_00.jpg
 
What I know is that the opinion and standard you gave don't apply to northeastern US, but may apply elsewhere. The poster was pointing out that your cautions about facial piercings may not have external validity, especially when the medical education systems/cultures are quite different. What would be a yellow or red flag against someone's professionalism in one place may not apply at all to another

I never stated that my opinion was pointed towards those who applied for jobs in the U.S. I simply said my opinion on it and then the said poster pulls in the nationality issue which has nothing to do with what I mean or not. On another note I study in an international program where 1/3 of my class are Americans and we also have a 4MD program at my school. So I'm very aware of culture differences etc.

But I'm used to American ignorance from before.
 
Hey everyone!

I had to respond to this (albeit late) after reading a lot of what was posted. I just don't buy the "everyone is going to secretly hate you" reason for removing the ring. There will be many people who don't like you for many reasons. Every doctor could look identical and patients would find reasons to hate one and love another. You hair is a normal color? Well, I hate the style. You don't have any piercings? Well, I don't like the shape of your nose. While I was in nursing, we had an older woman at a nursing home who refused to let a student nurse near her because the girl was Cuban.

That is life. As a woman I know I will immediately be distrusted by some older patients just as minorities will be. Just as they judge men who walk differently or act feminine, women with short hair or too long hair, people with red hair (working as a nurse gives you a lot of experience with judgmental people). Humans are awfully superficial, especially when scared. The only way to change opinions is to challenge them.

Will there be people who judge you for your nose ring? Of course! When don't they judge you? There will be people who like you for it. There will be those who don't care one way or another. Some will even learn a thing or two about judging others based on appearances. And of course there will be people that hate you at first glance. But who is more important?

Do whatever makes YOU comfortable. In the end, it is your body and your life and it is up to you to weigh the pros and cons of standing out. Confidence and authority in the way you carry yourself will cover a multitude of sins in the eyes of the general public.

- Sorry, that was long 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lose the nose piercing because some of your patients will not like it. It does not matter if a nose piercing is a good thing or a bad thing. The point is that you want your patients to have confidence in your skills and judgment. You want your patients to feel better because you took care of them. Some patients do not like nose piercing, eyebrow piercing, etc. and think that people who have that will not take good care of their patients. Of course, pathology is a good field as you can wear whatever you want. The cells do not care.
 
I used to work with an ENT Doc, she had a tiny diamond nose piercing, black hair with purple streaks, and a tattoo on her chest. She looked like a punk-rocker librarian, she also wore glasses with a purple trim. She was extremely professional with patients, exceptional demeanor, and above all else, she was amazingly hot!

Patient’s loved her, staff members loved her. I think if you act professionally, and are comfortable in your own skin, you’ll be okay. Most important thing is to adhere to your University’s dress code policy.
 
Personally, I wouldn't get too bent of shape about it either way. However, I am more traditional minded about things like this and ultimately am in the camp that would prefer colleagues to lose the non-traditional piercings if they are visible. Medicine is a conservative profession, like it or not. Patients have preconceptions about how physicians should behave and look and may respond differently to more progressive fashion / appearance than the more traditional (and what I would argue as also more professional) presentation everyone is used to. Maybe in many (most?) situations it would not matter, but when I think of what message I want to project to a patient, that message does not include trying to express individuality by challenging social norms or being non-conventional. I want to project a conventional, traditional image of medical professionalism so as to appeal to and perhaps re-assure patients that are so often feeling out of control, frightened, and vulnerable. Am I thinking too much about it? Elevating the importance of appearance too much? Maybe. But that's just my perspective anyway.
 
girls with nose studs are hot!!!

its just something not every girl has...and if u have one, consider urself to be lucky.

False. Nose studs look like a shiny pimple.

Edit: Just realized that post is 4 years old. Still doesn't change the fact that stud=shiny pimple though.
 
Last edited: