Losing Confidence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoyBasch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, today I was rejected from my first choice school (home state medical school). This was my first post-interview rejection (I had received a few pre-interview rejections from way long shot schools) and for the first time since I started my applications last June I really feel like I'm starting to lose confidence that I will actually get in anywhere this year.

My home state school is very protective of its own--it accepts more than 30% of state residents who apply--and my statistics were well above its averages (my stats: 35 MCAT/ 3.7 GPA). Furthermore I think I have had some pretty interesting experiences and jobs in research, clinical work, and non-clinical not-for-profit volunteer work that I thought I wrote about very eloquently on the secondary (by far the secondary I had spent the most time on). My application was complete by the end of August.

I just am totally at a loss, and I am really starting to wonder what I'm going to do if I couldn't even get into a school that I had a 30+% shot at. If any of you have any advice of where I should go from here I'd really appreciate it.
-Roy

Members don't see this ad.

Hey roy,

Will your home state school give you feedback about why they didn't take you? You may want to see if they'll let you know their thoughts so you can either avoid those pitfalls with your other applications this year or address the pitfalls for when you re-apply.

:luck::luck::luck: with your other applications out this cycle--

Agree. Call the admissions office and try to set up an appointment or get feedback over the phone. A lot of schools will tell you stuff like well your grades were good and your MCAT, but you were lacking clinical experience or your essay could have been better. Keep your head up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm going to call them on Monday and ask if they do feedback, but still I can't believe I wasn't even put in the holding patern or wait-listed.
-Roy

process can be a crapshoot sometimes. since a med school receives so many apps, they really care if a person will "fit in" with the rest of the class. it's not just numbers, ECs, and essays that get you in.

good luck.:luck:

Roy, don't worry so much. You should only be concerned if the rejections are from the ONLY schools you applied to. In that case, my advice would be to apply to more schools. Your stats seem to be above average, but it would help us giving advice to see a MDapps profile with ECs, etc.

A neighbor of mine applied to med school three years ago and then again last year. He didn't get in. His stats were average - 30 MCAT/ >3.5 GPA and a masters in bio. His problem was that he took a HUGE chance and only applied to 3 schools. He would have easily been accepted somewhere, but his ego kept him from applying to "low tier" schools and DO schools. His choice, but I'll finish med school with my 27 MCAT before he ever does if he keeps thinking that way.

Don't worry too much. I read somewhere that some schools that you think you have a good chance of getting in, you might get rejected. And some schools will just surprise you.

Don't forget... You need only one 'yes.'

Hey folks, today I was rejected from my first choice school (home state medical school). This was my first post-interview rejection (I had received a few pre-interview rejections from way long shot schools) and for the first time since I started my applications last June I really feel like I'm starting to lose confidence that I will actually get in anywhere this year.

My home state school is very protective of its own--it accepts more than 30% of state residents who apply--and my statistics were well above its averages (my stats: 35 MCAT/ 3.7 GPA). Furthermore I think I have had some pretty interesting experiences and jobs in research, clinical work, and non-clinical not-for-profit volunteer work that I thought I wrote about very eloquently on the secondary (by far the secondary I had spent the most time on). My application was complete by the end of August.

I just am totally at a loss, and I am really starting to wonder what I'm going to do if I couldn't even get into a school that I had a 30+% shot at. If any of you have any advice of where I should go from here I'd really appreciate it.
-Roy

how did your interview go?

Don't worry too much. I read somewhere that some schools that you think you have a good chance of getting in, you might get rejected. And some schools will just surprise you.

Don't forget... You need only one 'yes.'

Agreed. I've heard of my state school rejecting people with very high mcats because they assume those applicants will go to a higher tier school.

I had something similar happen to me. I was rejected from my home state med school despite having stats that were comfortably above the average for that school. And it was also a school that takes the vast majority of their students from in state. In the end, I got into plenty of very good places, and was perfectly happy with where I ended up. If you applied to a variety of places and have good stats (and interview okay), you really shouldn't worry. You'll get in somewhere good and you'll be happy there!

Hmm, really? Schools will reject if you have great scores but ASSUME you want to go someplace "better"? That seems very stupid to me, specifically because of my situation. I WANT to go to my state school, be close to friends and family, etc. They should atleast accept you, and then let you decide where to want to go.

Dude, it's even worse for us Californians...not only do we not get into our state schools, but since there are five UC's, it's like getting rejected five times. That's what happened to me last year :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey roy...

don't give up just yet. I myself had been rejected before I got to where I am right now. I am now currently in my 3rd year of my medical studies. And I have to say, my hardwork and determination back then paid off.

I guess, getting rejected is one way of how we are tested if medicine is really for us.

don't give up. :)

how did your interview go?

I think the interview went pretty well, it was a "stress-type" interview where they ask many difficult ethical and political questions and the interviewer is determined to question you no matter what your response, but I did policy debate in high school and I spent all summer reading about health care policy and medical ethics, so I think I was fairly prepared for the questions.

Also I think I conveyed pretty strongly in my interview (without saying it directly) that it was my first choice school. I did apply to 16 medical schools, although actually I was very tempted to apply EDP to my state school, I guess its a good thing I did not.
-Roy

I think the interview went pretty well, it was a "stress-type" interview where they ask many difficult ethical and political questions and the interviewer is determined to question you no matter what your response, but I did policy debate in high school and I spent all summer reading about health care policy and medical ethics, so I think I was fairly prepared for the questions.

Also I think I conveyed pretty strongly in my interview (without saying it directly) that it was my first choice school. I did apply to 16 medical schools, although actually I was very tempted to apply EDP to my state school, I guess its a good thing I did not.
-Roy

it was definitely your interview. KU HEAVILY weighs the interview. perhaps you were TOO prepared for your interview? maybe your answers seemed scripted? maybe you came off as arrogant? did you make it clear you want to PRACTICE in kansas? you said you're instate, but did you do your undergrad in KS? if not, then you definitely had to convince them that you wanted to make KS your home. even though you're from KS, if you went to undergrad OOS then it's a gamble not to assume you may want to make your permanent residence OOS. also, when it came to ethical questions, did your stand your ground? did you allow them to change your initial answer? they love to pressure you over and over to see if you will stand by your own convictions. I assume you stood your ground since you said you did policy debate, but the problem with policy debate is all those speeches were always scripted.

in other news, your GPA is at their average while your MCAT is way above. you have a 35. you'll get in somewhere. actually, you'll probably get into a much "better" school than KU in terms of prestige.

I just thought it was interesting that Roy Basch was asked a lot of ethical questions on the interview. Wonder what the Dr. Basch from the book would have answered them.

But how many schools have you interviewed at Roy? And remember, a rejection doesn't make you a bad applicant for med school. Who knows, maybe the school wouldn't have been a very good fit for you anyways.

I just thought it was interesting that Roy Basch was asked a lot of ethical questions on the interview. Wonder what the Dr. Basch from the book would have answered them.

But how many schools have you interviewed at Roy? And remember, a rejection doesn't make you a bad applicant for med school. Who knows, maybe the school wouldn't have been a very good fit for you anyways.

Heh I dunno about the "real" Dr. Basch, but I definitely stood my ground [perhaps that was bad?] on all my answers. I do not attend undergraduate instate, but I also articulated specifically in the interview that I intended to practice in state after completing my education when they asked me "where I saw myself in 15 years."

I have attended 5 interviews and so far no acceptances. That I have heard nothing from 9 of the schools I applied to makes me think my chances of getting additional interviews from those schools at this point are pretty slim. I would like to thank everyone very much for their feedback:D!
-Roy

Last edited:
Roy, sorry bout that, man. I feel your pain.

But do not lose hope. Remember, that although in some ways your state school is your "best shot" because of the numbers of in-state they accept. But there are always zillions of in-state applicants.

You may fare well in some private schools.

I wouldn't worry about feedback from them right now. Focus on this cycle and approach them if you need to reapply.

You seem like a great guy. Wish you well.

First of all thanks for replying to my question about the status update on the secondary thread. Every med student I met at the KU interview had been rejected their first time around and then successfully reapplied. It seems like this school doesn't like taking students directly out of undergrad (is that your case)? Either way I would definitely not lose hope, do some sort of research/work/volunteer work next year and reapply. My stats are lower than yours so I am anticipating being rejected. I believe the dean of admission said that around 1/3 of those accepted were reapplicants. Good luck!!!!!!

Heh I dunno about the "real" Dr. Basch, but I definitely stood my ground [perhaps that was bad?] on all my answers. I do not attend undergraduate instate, but I also articulated specifically in the interview that I intended to practice in state after completing my education when they asked me "where I saw myself in 15 years."

I have attended 5 interviews and so far no acceptances. That I have heard nothing from 9 of the schools I applied to makes me think my chances of getting additional interviews from those schools at this point are pretty slim. I would like to thank everyone very much for their feedback:D!
-Roy

some statistics to comfort (maybe) you?

interview = 40% chance of being accepted (I'm taking liberties here... it's 50% in my school but I know there are 30% ones)

5 interviews

.4 + .4(1-.4) + .4(1-.4(1-.4)-.4) + .4(1-.4(1-.4(1-.4))-.4(1-.4)-.4) + ...

92.2% chance you will get in somewhere :)

some statistics to comfort (maybe) you?

interview = 40% chance of being accepted (I'm taking liberties here... it's 50% in my school but I know there are 30% ones)

5 interviews

.4 + .4(1-.4) + .4(1-.4(1-.4)-.4) + .4(1-.4(1-.4(1-.4))-.4(1-.4)-.4) + ...

92.2% chance you will get in somewhere :)

I think that statistical analysis is borne out if you read a lot of the MDAPPS. people with 5 or more interviews usually get in somewhere.

I predict Roy gets in!!!

Don't sweat it, I am going to go on a limb and say you are overqualified for that school. :thumbup:

I think that statistical analysis is borne out if you read a lot of the MDAPPS. people with 5 or more interviews usually get in somewhere.

I predict Roy gets in!!!

Statistics Never Lie

This statement is true 95% of the times

;):)

but sounds like we need to get a betting pot going.

Roy Gets in:
EpiPEN ($5)

Roy Does not get in:

I hope it works out and I think there's a good chance it will, but if it doesn't what you're going to do is find something to do with your year off, send out and even earlier and broader app, and try again. Lots and lots of people don't make it on their first try, and one major reason is that the process is a crapshoot. The median matriculant at my school is 24 these days. Just don't get so depressed about the setback that you sign up for a 4 year stint in the Peace/Marine Corps and you'll be in medical school, at worst, one year late.

Good luck

Dude, it's even worse for us Californians...not only do we not get into our state schools, but since there are five UC's, it's like getting rejected five times. That's what happened to me last year :(

AMEN TO THAT, hahahaha.

To the OP: Don't worry, you are gonna absolute rock this cycle. Things work out for the better in a weird, odd and twisted way.

Hmm, really? Schools will reject if you have great scores but ASSUME you want to go someplace "better"? That seems very stupid to me, specifically because of my situation. I WANT to go to my state school, be close to friends and family, etc. They should atleast accept you, and then let you decide where to want to go.

No, it's a silly premed rumor perpetuated on SDN every application cycle.

First of all thanks for replying to my question about the status update on the secondary thread. Every med student I met at the KU interview had been rejected their first time around and then successfully reapplied. It seems like this school doesn't like taking students directly out of undergrad (is that your case)? Either way I would definitely not lose hope, do some sort of research/work/volunteer work next year and reapply. My stats are lower than yours so I am anticipating being rejected. I believe the dean of admission said that around 1/3 of those accepted were reapplicants. Good luck!!!!!!

Heh it appears I have been "outted" despite my meager attempts at discretion: Yes the school in question was the University of Kansas. I think being a Kansas resident applying to KU is one of the best shots statistically that anyone could possibly have at getting into an American allopathic program--I think like 40%+ chance of acceptance.

I have heard annecdotally that they have a lot of reapplicants accepted, but the statisitics say an average age of 23-24ish for last year's class, which would seem to suggest a lot of traditional applicants [I am a traditional applicant], so I dunno either way. Also my case should be instructive that MCAT isn't everything.

Edit:
Yeah I also have a very hard time believing the "overqualified" bit, this is med school we are talking about. It's really competitive everywhere! Also with no false humility intended here, I know that my application really isn't overqualified--if it were possible. I don't use MDapps because I don't want to go insane (SDN is bad enough).
-Roy

Last edited:
Agreed. I've heard of my state school rejecting people with very high mcats because they assume those applicants will go to a higher tier school.

Even if this were true (which I don't believe it really is), they wouldn't go to the trouble of interviewing the guy if they thought he was just going to go somewhere better...

Heh it appears I have been "outted" despite my meager attempts at discretion:

Sorry for the indiscretion, but if you notice rocketbooster's earlier post is filled with the name and state of the school. I was trying to give advice specific to the school.

I think you need to take into consideration early decision vs. regular decision when determining the acceptance rate. I'm pretty sure ED applicants have a slightly better chance of being admitted than regular applicants. I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Eh don't sweat it ArloDoc. I think that's a good point about EDP, I hear they take a lot of people through EDP, especially compared to other medical schools.
-Roy