Will I lose TX residency if I get a job out of state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to still be considered an in state applicant in Texas, but I have gotten several awesome opportunities out of state. What would cause me to lose my in state applicant privileges? Would it be age related, if I am doing a full time job, or some combination of the both?

I plan on living in an apartment and having a part time job while also doing research and doing a masters.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are going to school, and intend to return "home" after completing your studies, then you remain a resident of your home state, AFAIK. If you weren't going to school, that would be a different matter.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are going to school, and intend to return "home" after completing your studies, then you remain a resident of your home state, AFAIK. If you weren't going to school, that would be a different matter.
I agree with this assessment.
If you are OOS primarily for education (your masters degree) and plan to return to Texas, you will keep your Texas resident status.
If you live and purely work (and don't attend school) OOS for more than a year that could lose the status for you.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on how well you can argue this rule to your advantage. Doing a Masters and only working part-time should be fine.

(29) Temporary absence--Absence from the State of Texas by a person who previously met the criteria for in-state residency, with the intention to return, generally for a period of short duration (i.e., less than one year). However, in some situations, the absence can be significantly longer. For example, the temporary absence of a person or a dependent's parent from the state for the purpose of service in the U. S. Armed Forces, U. S. Public Health Service, U. S. Department of Defense, U. S. Department of State, as a result of an employment assignment, or for educational purposes, shall not affect a person's ability to continue to claim that Texas is his permanent residence.

Keep your IS driver’s license, and vote in TX. Do you have a permanent address there (own home, parent’s house)?

I left TX for a research job during my gap year and asked TMDSAS to make sure I would still be considered a TX resident.

They said... "Thanks for your inquiry. A temporary absence will not cause a Texas resident to lose their residency, and research opportunities are typically temporary in nature. Since you may be out of state for 12 months or longer, we recommend that you keep a record of any documentation that supports that this is a temporary assignment. This could be a contract or a letter from your employer/supervisor. You can then provide this documentation, once requested, after your application has been submitted."

From the conversation we had, it seems like their initial stance is that if you take a job out of state, you need to be able to prove that it is either a short-term thing or that Texas is where you intend on being permanently. If it is a research position and your PI knows your intention to leave the lab for med school, it should be something pretty easy to communicate and get a letter for. If this is NOT the case, and it is just a normal position that is not contracted or clearly temporary, I would make sure to communicate with your supervisors that you only intend to work the job for XXX amount of time and that you are applying to medical school. This would make it a little easier if down the road TMDSAS asked for proof that your assignment was temporary, and your boss could simply write a formal letter and say, "Avatararrow joined our company on XXX and clearly communicated that in the spring of 2023 they would be applying to Texas medical schools via TMDSAS with the plan on returning back to Texas immediately if offered a position at one of the TMDSAS medical schools."

Hope this helps!

I'm taking my gap year out of Texas at the moment (working at my undergrad and still living on campus) and got my residency maintained but was told by TMDSAS that I wouldn't have it next year if I applied again. My license is still in Texas and I'm still registered to vote in Texas, so I think that helped.

I'm taking my gap year out of Texas at the moment (working at my undergrad and still living on campus) and got my residency maintained but was told by TMDSAS that I wouldn't have it next year if I applied again. My license is still in Texas and I'm still registered to vote in Texas, so I think that helped.
Also, the residency determination is made at the time you submit your application to TMDSAS. It was nice of them to let you know that being out of Texas for over a year would result in a status change. Luckily, you won't need to be a reapplicant, @xakrinf :soexcited:

• Love
Reactions: 1 users