Losing hope :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faye1891

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my first rejection today from Nova. This is the only thing I have heard from any school after doing secondaries.

I know I'm not the most competitive applicant but I've worked so hard over the past two years to really overcome any holes in my application/gpa.

my stats:
gpa 3.15
sgpa 3.09
DAT 22 AA/22 TS/20 PAT

I have research experience, clinical/shadowing, other volunteer hours (>600hrs total), I was a TA for biochem for two semesters. And I'm a URM (hispanic, which is very surprising to see the low percentages in dental schools its very sad and discouraging). I also participated in the UCLA SMDEP and was president of my dorm for a year.
I'm also currently in a medical sciences master's program.

I know Im shooting too high but my dream school is UF. I'm praying for an interview and a chance to show my passion for dentistry. I went to undergrad at UF. I applied to 13 schools so far.

Do I even have a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am in a similar situation -> low undergrad gpa as yours so I went for Masters Biomedical Sciences and finished with 3.87 and retook DAT got 22 TS 21 AA.

I recently got my first interview. but 2 rejections at the same time..:(

we both understand we have a lower chance than others BUT

let's not lose hope!! :xf:

congratulations on the interview! I totally share in your excitement!
Where is the interview! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my first rejection today from Nova. This is the only thing I have heard from any school after doing secondaries.

I know I'm not the most competitive applicant but I've worked so hard over the past two years to really overcome any holes in my application/gpa.

my stats:
gpa 3.15
sgpa 3.09
DAT 22 AA/22 TS/20 PAT

I have research experience, clinical/shadowing, other volunteer hours (>600hrs total), I was a TA for biochem for two semesters. And I'm a URM (hispanic, which is very surprising to see the low percentages in dental schools its very sad and discouraging).

I know Im shooting too high but my dream school is UF. I'm praying for an interview and a chance to show my passion for dentistry. I applied to 13 schools so far.

Do I even have a chance?

Even though your GPA is on the low side I still think you will get some interviews, UF might be a long shot though since their avg GPA is like a 3.6, When was your app sent out?

my stats:
gpa 3.15
sgpa 3.09
DAT 22 AA/22 TS/20 PAT

I have research experience, clinical/shadowing, other volunteer hours (>600hrs total), I was a TA for biochem for two semesters. And I'm a URM (hispanic, which is very surprising to see the low percentages in dental schools its very sad and discouraging).

I know Im shooting too high but my dream school is UF. I'm praying for an interview and a chance to show my passion for dentistry. I applied to 13 schools so far.

Do I even have a chance?

your DAT score sure makes up for your gpa. + your EC are impressive. hang in there, I'm sure it will come soon.

btw what batch are you in?

I sent in my AADSAS app (except DAT scores) June 6th, but I took my DAT August 6th. Schools just got my "completed" app on August 24th. So Im not too sure which batch I'd qualify in.

I also have some awesome letters of rec including one from the Associate Dean of the Department of Biochemistry at UF because I was a supplemental instructor so hopefully that will help.

I've been doing really well in the last few semesters, had a didn't go below 3.8 gpa in my last 4 semesters including a 4.0 in my last semester of college. It was just the first few semesters I didn't do so well but I think my DAT should show that I am capable of mastering that material. Hopefully.....

Last edited:
Dude... it is WAY to early in the application/interview cycle to get worried. You only have 1 rejection out of 13!! Keep the faith, the interviews will come.

Dude... it is WAY to early in the application/interview cycle to get worried. You only have 1 rejection out of 13!! Keep the faith, the interviews will come.

Faith is a strong word... and I hope to have faith in what you just said, because I am in a similar situation as the OP.

Faith is a strong word... and I hope to have faith in what you just said, because I am in a similar situation as the OP.

Faith is a practical word.... we still have 3 months of interviewing before schools send out their first acceptances. Hell, most schools have only been giving out interviews for just a month.

Then we have the post-dec interviews and acceptances, which ends up being 50% of the class for a lot of schools.

When the interviews come and when you are later accepted, you will look back and laugh about how stressed out you are now.

Your app has been complete for about a week if you take the fist-pumping Labor Day weekend into account. I'm not saying it's late, but it's not exactly early. Give it some time. Your GPAs are nothing to write home about (if that's your big concern), but the scores seem nice as does the rest of the package.

If I can get interviews... So can you....
I am in a similar situation as you...
Ive got three interviews so far....

Just wait and you will get some sooooooooooon.

Btw which schools did you apply to???

Which schools did you get interviews?

I applied to
ATStill
Baylor
BU
Indiana
LECOM
Missouri
Nova
Tufts
UF
Kentucky
Louisville
VCU
Western
NYU

I applied to
ATStill
Baylor
BU
Indiana
LECOM
Missouri
Nova
Tufts
UF
Kentucky
Louisville
VCU
Western
NYU

Schools i got interviews from are Case Western, Indiana ( in-state), and Michigan.
And most of other schools i applied to have yet started sending out invites... Hopefully i will get some more interviews :xf::luck:

Your stats are AMAZING. Chin up, and smile!~ :) There are other students out there that have nothing close to what you have as far as your GPA, DAT, and EC's. ;) You're SURE to get an interview!~

I applied to
ATStill
Baylor <---- if you aren't in-state (TX) you get considered at the end
BU <---- hasn't started giving out interviews yet
Indiana
LECOM
Missouri
Nova
Tufts <---- hasn't started giving out interviews yet
UF
Kentucky
Louisville
VCU
Western
NYU

A number of your schools hasn't even been very active/active at all. Patience, young grasshopper.

my stats:
gpa 3.15
sgpa 3.09
DAT 22 AA/22 TS/20 PAT

I have research experience, clinical/shadowing, other volunteer hours (>600hrs total), I was a TA for biochem for two semesters. And I'm a URM (hispanic, which is very surprising to see the low percentages in dental schools its very sad and discouraging). I also participated in the UCLA SMDEP and was president of my dorm for a year.

I know Im shooting too high but my dream school is UF. I'm praying for an interview and a chance to show my passion for dentistry. I went to undergrad at UF. I applied to 13 schools so far.

Do I even have a chance?
I hope you applied to Meharry and Howard.

Do every schools send you a rejection notice if you aren't qualified for an interview?
I'm very nervous because I have not heard from any of the schools I applied to....Not even a rejection.
I'm not sure when to draw the line that I should be getting ready for the 2014 admission.

Do every schools send you a rejection notice if you aren't qualified for an interview?
I'm very nervous because I have not heard from any of the schools I applied to....Not even a rejection.
I'm not sure when to draw the line that I should be getting ready for the 2014 admission.

hey thats how I'm feeling too, I've only heard from nova and it was that rejection. But from other schools I've completed all secondaries and nothing...
I really hope to land at least 1 interview.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, can't say it has totally eased my worries but its been really helpful!

Your stats are AMAZING. Chin up, and smile!~ :) There are other students out there that have nothing close to what you have as far as your GPA, DAT, and EC's. ;) You're SURE to get an interview!~

Hey thank you! That makes me feel better and I really hope so, at least 1 (out of 17 :()