losing motivation to study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oceanicF815

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Exam is coming up and I'm losing my drive/focus to study. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I think its both. :scared:

Well I'm definitely right there with ya! I can tell you that the intimidation decreases as you progress through your studying. The more familiar you are with the MCAT format, the better you feel. The more concepts you truly understand, the better you feel. The faster you get, the better you feel. I achieve this by constantly asking questions. I'm never satisfied with an explanation to a concept. I try to connect each concept with something else that we've learned. Most of the time, it's easy to connect things with Physics, so that can totally strengthen your understanding.

As for motivation, I really have nothing for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to trust yourself buddy. This exam is highly dependant on how confident you are when you go into the test. If you start feeling insecure about yourself and go into the test feeling like you didn't study enough, you're going to have a meltdown when you hit a hard passage.

Keep studying man. Don't loose sight of the big goal. The passages that are in any of the big prep companies (TPR/EK/TBR) are for the most part harder than the real MCAT. Use this passages as a way to get a better understanding of the topics you're studying and not as a way to gauge all your knowledge. Once you start taking the practice exams you'll see that all this hard work is going to pay off.

Confidence is the key to any great performance.

Reactions: 1 user
You suck. You should just quit and give up on all of this because you'll never make it. You're burning out over studying? That's all you'll be doing in med school. Then you have 80+ hr weeks to look forward to of just being at work in a hospital as a resident, and that doesn't even include everything else you'll do on your own time (reading journals, etc). How will you handle that if you can't even put your mind to studying for ONE exam. You have a ton more exams to look forward to after this one. Stop wasting your time.

OR you can try to prove me wrong. Think you got what it takes?

Reactions: 1 user
Make sure you get enough sleep, take 5 min breaks/hour and get some exercise. don't lose focus now that the test is coming up. good luck

You have to trust yourself buddy. This exam is highly dependant on how confident you are when you go into the test. If you start feeling insecure about yourself and go into the test feeling like you didn't study enough, you're going to have a meltdown when you hit a hard passage.

Keep studying man. Don't loose sight of the big goal. The passages that are in any of the big prep companies (TPR/EK/TBR) are for the most part harder than the real MCAT. Use this passages as a way to get a better understanding of the topics you're studying and not as a way to gauge all your knowledge. Once you start taking the practice exams you'll see that all this hard work is going to pay off.

Confidence is the key to any great performance.

Confidence is key! if you are not confident then you start to do things on the test differently which can kill you! Just figure out works for and stick to it. Trust it and be confident. Also if you are losing motivation think about the big picture. You are taking this test to prove you can survive med school to eventually be a physician. I think if you think about this it will motivate you.

realllyyyyy feeling the burnout right about now :?

This was me last week. This week, I'm shooting through the roof with motivation. I'm certain that I'll be down by next week...

The point is to realize that your motivation level is much like a sine wave. As long as there's an upward trend, you'll be okay.