KA P/S Theories of Motivation passage question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustinM88

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% understanding this one. Could someone reword it so I can look at it from a diff perspective?

Is simply that Opponent Process deals with chasing feelings while Extrinsic/Incentive are chasing physical rewards?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @JustinM88 -

I think you've got the basic idea, but I'd phrase it a little bit differently -- a slight adjustment would be that the opponent process theory has to do with internal stimuli like pain/pleasure, whereas extrinsic motivation theory has to do with external things. The issue with phrasing it in terms of "physical" rewards is that pain and pleasure have a physical basis, especially in the context of addictive behavior, so I think it's clearer to think of it as an internal/external opposition.

Hope this helps & best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @JustinM88 -

I think you've got the basic idea, but I'd phrase it a little bit differently -- a slight adjustment would be that the opponent process theory has to do with internal stimuli like pain/pleasure, whereas extrinsic motivation theory has to do with external things. The issue with phrasing it in terms of "physical" rewards is that pain and pleasure have a physical basis, especially in the context of addictive behavior, so I think it's clearer to think of it as an internal/external opposition.

Hope this helps & best of luck!

Cool, I appreciate the tip!