• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!

shareesh

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I think you have an impressive EC list :) very impressive!! totally top noch! And your MCAT score is quite competitive...especially the jump from 26 to 32. I think they do look at the 26, however, the take the 32. I think it's only after taking 3 mcat tests that they start averaging.

However, I don't think you should apply because of your low GPA. I think you might have had a better chance if you had applied a lot earlier because of your EC and MCAT score. But I was advised to only apply this late if you have a high GPA and was waiting to improve your MCAT score. It is, afterall, based on rolling basis...so it's quite cut throat.

I think that you can do either one option.

(1) Continue taking courses at your undergrad institution:

PROS:
- you can improve your undergrad science and cum GPA (masters is grad gpa)...if you stay for one more year, you can change it to at least a 3.4 cum--and that's impressive at an IVY leag school. I think med schools would accept a person who has a 3.5 at a non-ivy leag school to a 3.2 ivy leag school.
- you can continue participating in your impressive research
- obtain amazing letters of rec
- cheep since you have a good financial aid package

CONS:
- i'm sure it must have been difficult enough for you to get a 3.16 at an ivy league.

(2) Get your masters

PROS:
- taking courses alongside medical schools shows schools that you can really make it
- having a high grad gpa is looked upon highly

CONS:
- if you apply, schools would want some current letters of rec ~ and you seem to have better ones at the ivy league.
- expensive

Hopefully that helps.

About the Ads

Neha25

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
ohhh, thats a great analysis, thank u shareesh!

Last edited:

kaml20

VA doc
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
i think you should apply this year, and no there is no special treatment for us (except if you share the same school with your interviewer).. I was in your situation last year, I applied to alot but didnt get in. I dont think it was detrimental to me because now im going to a masters program where I know it will be important to get a good rec letter. But to me I think my previous applications wont hurt me, if anybody asks I can only give positive feedback..." I am determined, more mature, and now know I have to work for what I want" I think you should go for if you feel confident in doing so. If your not, make sure you have something to do this year.

lawnboy313

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Gamehendge
Status (Visible)
Have you asked a premed/career advisor at UPenn what to do? There's some good advice available here, but given your tough situation, I'd get input from someone who has a lot of experience navigating through these kinds of decisions, if you haven't already. Good luck!

djyujin

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2006
Portland, OR
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
yeah im in a similar position, i'd advise just going for the MAMS program. especially if you've already taken a lot of upper division science courses, especially given BU-MAMS' success rate, which is quite high.

i think if you were to show that you could perform really well in medical school courses that it would carry a lot more weight than just taking more grad level classes.

i'm in a similar position, where i didn't do as well in the introductory premed reqs, but i did better my upper level science courses. it is sort of unfair that being at an ivy, that the competition is a lot more intense than most state schools, but i think most adcoms take that into consideration. for example, i know there are some people who get Cs in orgo here and have gotten into medical school. a couple Cs at an ivy shouldn't deter you from applying. :)

asmaka19

10+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2006
Baton Rouge, Philadelphia, New Orleans
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
Hey Neha,
i answered your post about the HG at tulane in another thread. You went to penn? I went to drexel, and we're both thinking about tulane! Do you want to get into a top-tier medical school or do you just want to get into medical school? If you're just looking at medical school I think that you should definately apply this year. You could send in your semseter and then final transcript to the medical schools during the year.

Neha25 said:
ohhh, thats a great analysis, thank u shareesh! i didn't think of that-- am i going to need letters of recc from my MA's program even after only being enrolled for one semester? that's going to be hard to get. i'm having a rough time thinking of science prof's to give me a good LOR as is it, because they dont know me as well as my research PI's. also, is it weird if i have amazing LOR from research PIs and
just ok LOR from science profs in college?

my college was UPenn. it was a tough school, and i would think that med schools would really take that into account if i had all B's, but if i'm carrying around several C's, are they still going to give me a break because it was a good college? i did better in upper level science courses, but those initial grades still hurt.

are you going to the BU MAMS program too djyujin? are ur stats like mine? what do u think of my 5th year or another semester of college idea :idea: vs. or in addition to bu's mams? thank u!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.