Lost and want to get in to a DO program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mod_DO

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted to get in to a DO school . Where as on the
other hand my DAD who is an MD doesn't think highly of DO's (You
know the DO MD war. I am planning on taking my MCAT next year. I
was wonder if its too late to try to get in to NYIT's BSDO program
(NYCOM) since I haven't graduated from college yet. And is there a
way of getting in with out the MCAT score???? and well this is the bad
part my GPA is in the 2.(somethings area) I know I know.
A soul in need of help (becoming a DO is my passion, my hope of
living, I have always dreamed of it)
Is my dads being an MD a negative point on an interview???
HELP!!! HELP!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, the MD/DO war is pretty much nonexistent in the real world. Mostly premeds, think this is a big deal. The old-fashioned thinking MDs think less of DOs, but now, very very few MDs think less of DOs. If you honestly want to be a DO, then do it. I don't know of any medical school, with the exception of the 6 year combined programs, that allow you to enter without the MCAT. Also, take some more classes to improve that gpa, as well as participate in many extracurricular activities/volunteering. As for the interview, it may helped saying that your dad wanted you to be a MD, but your passion for osteopathic medicine is so much that you are willing to go against your dad.

Rocky

mod_DO

You really need to work on your GPA as well as being competetive on the MCAT. The admissions criteria for DO and MD programs are remarkably similar. The average candidate has about a 3.5 GPA (give or take a few tenths of a point) and a MCAT composite of apx. 27: the top schools of course are more stringent. The minimums that schools list are just that: minimums, that does not mean you will be accepted with those numbers. Remember medical school MD/DO is very competetive all over the United States. If it weren't you would not see this and other forums full of seemingly qualified candidates trying to improve their overall "package" for next years cycle.

Often times schools will look at trends in your GPA. For instance if you had a bad first year and then buckled down and kicked a** the rest of undergrad, they are a little more forgiving than if the reverse happens.

DO schools do tend to be more receptive to non-taditional students (older students and/or second careers), however the entrance requirements are vitually the same.

If this is where your heart is than WORK FOR IT!!! There is nothing more satisfying than reaping the fruits of your labor!!!! I am not trying to sound harsh, but I do think you should be realistic. Good luck and hang in there.

[This message has been edited by Sherry (edited 06-11-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
if being a DO is you passion and true desire you MUST work harder on improving you GPA. the honest truth is the with you actual gpa it is almost impossible the get admitted to any DO school. The competition is fierce and far more rigorous for DO school just for the fact that there are less spots in DO that MD. Good luck!
kee posting.

------------------
siul

Mod-DO, I know what you are going through! It sounds as if you had more fun time than study time in school if your GPA is in the 2.??? range. All that can be fixed! It is not impossible!!! Just focus, buckle down, learn, not regurgitate, and you WILL do it! That passion that you have to be a DO will help you, it will carry you through the tough times (Physics, Organic Chem, etc...). As for your father, I am sure he is an amazing man, in addition to being a fine MD, but is he of a certain age? Many MD's who are older, 50+,seem to have a bias towards DO's. Tell you father that being a DO would make you HAPPY, what father doesn't want happiness for his child? Explain to him your reasons and I'm sure you will have his support. Good luck in all that you do, NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Originally posted by siulrc:
The competition is fierce and far more rigorous for DO school just for the fact that there are less spots in DO that MD. Good luck!
kee posting.

Are you being serious?

Damn right, i am serious. Just go and do you research. In a 1998 article published by The New York Times entitled "Scorned No More, Ostopathy is on the Rise" states "But osteopathic schools are actually MORE selective than conventional medical schools. They accepted one of every 4.5 applicants for the freshman position in 1997 in contrast to one of 2.7 accepted fof MD training, according to the Association of American Medical Colleges" Keep in mind this is article publishing stats from 1997 nowadays should be even tougher bcz the accepted students have even better numbers.

You can also check the princeton review on line and you will see similar statements.
Go do you research before assuming things.
Keep posting.

------------------
siul

Just because there are more applicants DOES NOT mean that the "competition...is far more rigorous"

Your substantiation of the statement that DO admissions are "more competitive" than allopathic admissions is an example of the maxim that statistics can be used to support anything. Certainly, if the figures quoted are correct, then a lower percentage of applicants are admitted to osteo programs than to allo programs. The fact that there are about 100 more allopathic than osteopathic programs slightly skews these data, in all fairness.

Moreover, consider the numbers (gpa and MCAT) generally reflective of matriculating students. Undoubtedly, the mean gpa and mcats for allopathic students is somewhat higher than for osteo students. In other words, a student must, on average, have higher overall stats to be considered "competitive" for admission to an allopathic program. Yes, there are osteo programs with averages comparable or higher than those of specific allopathic programs. I'm speaking of averages. A "typical" student with a 3.3 gpa and 26 MCAT stands little chance of getting into an allopathic program, but conversely has a decent chance of acceptance into an osteopathic program. By this measure (that of the student's perspective), the allopathic program is certainly more competitive than the osteopathic one.

I think it is fair to assume that the difference in acceptance rates to osteo vs. allo programs is that there are a number of applicants to osteo programs with stats that would never, ever be considered by the adcom of an allopathic school (sub- 3.0 and low 20's mcat). I am not saying that these applicants have a realistic chance at the osteo school, but that they are likely limiting their applications to schools with slightly lower stats for accepted applicants. Hence, the size of the applicant pool is increased by those who might not otherwise be applying.

Please do not interpret this post as an indictment of osteo programs. I harbor no bias against osteopathic physicians and actually have been known to defend DO programs against ignorant criticism by some of my classmates. PCOM has a very good program and I know a number of students and alumni of the school. They all are (or will be) excellent physicians. Again, I am pointing out that there is another aspect of "competitiveness" that your post did not consider.

rna, who is talking about the amount of applicants? I am talking about more applicants with better numbers and profiles. And if you do your research you will see that the amount of students applying to medschool is decreasing for the past four years. Keep posting.

------------------
siul

Besy, go back and read my posts. I never said that admissions to osteopathic schools is more competitive what i presented is fact the admissions comm. in osteopathic are more selective. And whta that means that you not only need to have the numbers (which everybody knows are a bit lower than allopathic, no one is deniying that)but need to have the king of profile that they are looking for. And that makes that process a more selective one.
Keep posting.

------------------
siul