Lost Non-traditional student: take DIY post-bacc at a CUNY or SMP route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LLMM22

Pre med student
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm honestly a bit lost on what to apply to and need as much advice as possible. To tell you a bit about myself, I am 20 years-old with a BS degree in Psychology that I got in December. My GPA ended up being a 3.0 (I know it's not the best) and my sGPA was a 3.2. I was fortunate enough to go to a high school that awarded me with an associates degree upon graduation which is why I was able to finish school faster. While in high school, those last two years which were just college classes, were not good grades to put it simple. I messed up badly since I didn't apply myself.

Fast forward to college, where I entered as a Junior, my intention was to study psych in order to get a head start on that one part of the MCAT. As time passed, I got discouraged in my classes because I honestly thought that I wasn't enough to become a doctor AND while being a minority. Yes I now know these were all lies that I was making myself believe but this really messed up my GPA. Even though I got my bachelors, I had let go of that dream of become a doctor. Which takes me to where I am now. I know what I want, and I am willing to work hard to enter into an MD school. My dream has always been to become a surgeon. I can't picture myself doing anything else.

I am thinking about doing a DIY post-bacc at a CUNY but if its worth doing that or just jumping straight to a SMP. I have taken some pre-requisites (but those grades were not good at all). What do you all recommend? Do you guys think I still have a chance or no?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all, I'm honestly a bit lost on what to apply to and need as much advice as possible. To tell you a bit about myself, I am 20 years-old with a BS degree in Psychology that I got in December. My GPA ended up being a 3.0 (I know it's not the best) and my sGPA was a 3.2. I was fortunate enough to go to a high school that awarded me with an associates degree upon graduation which is why I was able to finish school faster. While in high school, those last two years which were just college classes, were not good grades to put it simple. I messed up badly since I didn't apply myself.

Fast forward to college, where I entered as a Junior, my intention was to study psych in order to get a head start on that one part of the MCAT. As time passed, I got discouraged in my classes because I honestly thought that I wasn't enough to become a doctor AND while being a minority. Yes I now know these were all lies that I was making myself believe but this really messed up my GPA. Even though I got my bachelors, I had let go of that dream of become a doctor. Which takes me to where I am now. I know what I want, and I am willing to work hard to enter into an MD school. My dream has always been to become a surgeon. I can't picture myself doing anything else.

I am thinking about doing a DIY post-bacc at a CUNY but if its worth doing that or just jumping straight to a SMP. I have taken some pre-requisites (but those grades were not good at all). What do you all recommend? Do you guys think I still have a chance or no?
Do a diy post-bac. Have you taken all the pre-reqs?
SMPs are an audition of medical schools. SMPs are a last ditch effort to get into medical school. If you bomb it or get less than 3.5 then kiss medical school good bye. Since you struggled in undergrad, how do you expect to miraculously ace medical school level courses in a SMP?
Doesn't make sense. Focused on GPA repair by doing a diy post-bac at your local University.

Thank you so much for responding :)

I have not taken all of the pre-reqs needed. I'll be sure to look at DIY-post bacc at my local university. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was shooting for the stars with two eyes closed. I'm just trying to understand what choices I have. I appreciate your help. Thank you so much !!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for responding :)

I have not taken all of the pre-reqs needed. I'll be sure to look at DIY-post bacc at my local university. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was shooting for the stars with two eyes closed. I'm just trying to understand what choices I have. I appreciate your help. Thank you so much !!!
You can apply as a 2nd degree seeking student at a local university to gain access to financial aid and get registration priority for the courses you need to take. Finish the remainder of your pre-reqs and also take upper division biology courses to boost your science GPA. Make sure you get A's from here on out. You need to establish an upward trend in grades. For upper level biology courses, take microbiology, virology, genetics, cell biology, molecular biology, developmental biology, endocrinology, biochemistry, physiology, neurobiology etc. You want to take upper level courses that mirror medical school topics. Get A's, some more A's and even more A's. This a marathon now not a spring.

Ouuuuu perfect! I honestly am so appreciate that you replied! Thank you so muchhhh :). God bless you

You can apply as a 2nd degree seeking student at a local university to gain access to financial aid and get registration priority for the courses you need to take. Finish the remainder of your pre-reqs and also take upper division biology courses to boost your science GPA. Make sure you get A's from here on out. You need to establish an upward trend in grades. For upper level biology courses, take microbiology, virology, genetics, cell biology, molecular biology, developmental biology, endocrinology, biochemistry, physiology, neurobiology etc. You want to take upper level courses that mirror medical school topics. Get A's, some more A's and even more A's. This a marathon now not a spring.
Second degree students don't get financial aid

Fast forward to college, where I entered as a Junior, my intention was to study psych in order to get a head start on that one part of the MCAT. As time passed, I got discouraged in my classes because I honestly thought that I wasn't enough to become a doctor AND while being a minority.

Being a minority is a great benefit for applying to med school. Not sure why you think being a minority would hold you back in this process.

Also there isn't much psychology on the MCAT.

How bad is your GPA? If I were you I would be an SMP to speed up the process.