Lost the sight of my left eye.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dony45

Reaction score
Just recently became blind in my left eye. My Opthamologist said my dental career is over. He had one other dentist try and finally gave up. I seartched the internet and only found some old disucssion on this forum about dentist being blind in one eye yet still doing dentistry. I am finding it to be very difficult. I think if you were blind for some time it might be easier. Finding I am relying on more tactile sense rather than visual but my biggest problem is with just one eye my hand blocks my vision and it is hard to see around it. Wondering if there are any dentist here with the same problem who were able to continue and how they were able to do it.

Members don't see this ad.

I am so sorry to hear that. I don't have much to add but praying things work out for you.

Perhaps you can go into business consulting for a DSO or run an FQHC?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear.

You should post this on DentalTown.com. I'm sure you will get way more helpful advice on there as opposed to here. This is mostly a student/pre-dental website. I'm sure many dentists on DentalTown know of someone with similar situation as you.

Hopefully, you have the disability insurance to help you out.

Reactions: 2 users
My Uncle lost one of his eyes in an accident but he never stopped practicing dentistry, he is almost 65 yrs old now and still practicing. If there is a will there is always a way

Reactions: 1 users
Do you need biocular vision for depth of field sense? Or can uniocular vision be adequate? I'd imagine the brain can accommodate and utilize other sources of information like shadows and gradients of color, and tactile sensation like you said, for sense of depth and distance. If tRNA's uncles could cope with the loss maybe that sense is more plastic and adaptable, and maybe you could still practice as a dentist?

You could always utilize your skill and apply it to other lucrative specialties like dental anesthesiology.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just recently became blind in my left eye. My Opthamologist said my dental career is over. He had one other dentist try and finally gave up. I seartched the internet and only found some old disucssion on this forum about dentist being blind in one eye yet still doing dentistry. I am finding it to be very difficult. I think if you were blind for some time it might be easier. Finding I am relying on more tactile sense rather than visual but my biggest problem is with just one eye my hand blocks my vision and it is hard to see around it. Wondering if there are any dentist here with the same problem who were able to continue and how they were able to do it.
How did that happen?

How did that happen?
I fell and hit my left eye and damaged the optic nerve, permanent damage. I can tell you it is so much easier to practice dentistry with both eyes. I don't find that eyes adapt. That was at least my first thougth that it will get better and easier. It really is relearning to do dentistry with a definite handicap. I know other dentist have done it which is why I will see if can retrain. Dentistry is becoming more tactile vs visual.

Reactions: 1 user
I fell and hit my left eye and damaged the optic nerve, permanent damage. I can tell you it is so much easier to practice dentistry with both eyes. I don't find that eyes adapt. That was at least my first thougth that it will get better and easier. It really is relearning to do dentistry with a definite handicap. I know other dentist have done it which is why I will see if can retrain. Dentistry is becoming more tactile vs visual.

I lost the use of both hands and had to go on disability. Send me a message if you want to discuss alternatives to doing clinical procedures. I explored a lot of things before settling into my current position.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users