Lost weight; any way to lessen stretch marks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sher9mm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I lost 30 lbs last year.. and it seems like my stretch marks got more noticeable since they're no longer pulled taut. Any recommendations to make them less noticeable?

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately there just isn't one good "works every time" remedy for stretch marks (striae). However, many derms believe that retinoids such as Retin-A is about as good as it gets, so ask your derm provider about this.

There are many OTC products out there for striae, but I've yet to meet the person who had any luck with them....

hth,
Phil R.

dermpa02 said:
Unfortunately there just isn't one good "works every time" remedy for stretch marks (striae). However, many derms believe that retinoids such as Retin-A is about as good as it gets, so ask your derm provider about this.

hth,
Phil R.

Is there any cosmetic surgery for those?

Members don't see this ad :)
The lasers studied (forget which offhand) do well at decreasing redness if any remains in the skin. However, they didn't help much for the 'average' skin colored stretch marks.

For people with a ton of extra skin (ie, s/p gastric bypass), lots of skin might need to be removed... if this is you a plastic surgeon can definitely fill you in w/more info.

Congrats on the wt loss, btw!

Think it's called Striavite (not sure) but it's a topical cream lightly applied to the marks and is found OTC. It is dermatologist-approved and is recommended by many of the top derms in the field. BTW congrats on the weight loss!

Hmmm... it's a pity that Derm is such an elitist field. I would go for it b/c I have much personal interest in it but alas, my application would go on a dart board for lack of a 260+....