Lou Dobbs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cristagali

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone see the Moneyline story (CNN) on IMG's? I'm sure it was not +, but I'm still curious, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't see it, but considering that of late he has become an outspoken protectionist, I would be very surprised if it was complementary.

One of the questions on his on-line quiz was:

Lou Dobbs Quiz said:
9) How many U.S. states ban graduates of Spartan Health Sciences University - a one-building schoolroom on St. Lucia whose faculty have been called "grossly underqualified" by regulators - from practicing medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, coming up next, how did your doctor get into medical school? One man was shocked to learn his doctor was accepted into medical school without even graduating from college.

Stay with us.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

PILGRIM: It might shock you to learn that a doctor could practice medicine in this country without ever graduating from college, but that is exactly what can happen when people attend medical schools outside the United States. Lisa Sylvester reports from Washington.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

LISA SYLVESTER, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): John Nesteruk will feel a sharp pain in his left shoulder for the rest of his life. His spinal accessory nerve was mistakenly severed during surgery to remove a cyst on his neck. He successfully sued the Florida doctor, Jose Nabut.

JOHN NESTERUK, SUED DOCTOR: It was and continues to be a never- ending nightmare. Rarely a day goes by that I don't think about Dr. Nabut and what he's put me through.

SYLVESTER: Dr. Nabut also accidentally stapled Glenn O'Loughlin's bile duct.

GLENN O'LOUGHLIN, HAD BILE DUCT STAPLED: I take approximately 840 pills a month because I can't digest food correctly. I also can't eat and drink some of the things that you should normally be able to eat and drink.

SYLVESTER: Court papers later reveal Nabut never graduated from college, but he still was accepted to medical school in sunny Guadalajara, Mexico. The autonomous University of Guadalajara is one of several foreign universities that have acceptance criteria that falls far short of most U.S. medical schools.

Foreign doctors must still pass a test to be licensed to practice in the United States, but eight states go even further and have banned or placed restrictions on medical students graduating from certain Caribbean schools. California's medical board has done several site visits.

JOYCE HADNOT, MEDICAL BOARD OF CALIFORNIA: When we go out and we find that some schools may or may not actually provide them with the level of education that would ensure that they can come back to the United States and practice medicine on our consumers...

SYLVESTER: Dr. Nabut denies a connection between his medical mistakes and his education. In a statement, he said, "I have been practicing medicine without incident since then. They were unfortunate events. I did my best to avoid them. I have been through the system and have already been disciplined for them."

DR. SIDNEY WOLFE, CO-AUTHOR, "WORST PILLS, BEST PILLS": In this country, about 100 years ago almost, the worst medical schools were pretty much knocked out of existence. That has not happened, at least in some other countries.

SYLVESTER: John Nesteruk still has a high regard for doctors in general. He just wishes he never crossed paths with the medical doctor who graduated from Guadalajara.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

SYLVESTER: Three of Dr. Nabut's patients were awarded $50 millions, but they have seen very little of that money because Dr. Nabut did not have malpractice insurance. His medical license was suspended in 1999, but it was reinstated recently. So he continues to practice in Florida -- Kitty.

PILGRIM: Unbelievable story. Thanks very much, Lisa Sylvester.

Well, that does bring us to the subject of tonight's poll. Do you believe doctors who graduate from foreign medical school should be licensed to practice in the United States, yes or no? Cast your vote at LouDobbs.com. We'll bring you the results a bit later in the show.

Go to CNN Lou Dobbs.com Vote!!!! We knocked 20% off in just 6 hours. WE can do it...Go vote..It's a ridiculous poll...so vote as many times as you can!!!! :mad: :thumbup:

Where did this surgeon do his residency training? That's where they should really be focusing their disapprobation. But, no. The medically-illiterate public will point to his undergraduate medical education as some sort of indicator of his ability to practice medicine, because they don't understand how medical education, licensure, and training really works in the U.S.

As of just now (Sunday night), the voting is in favor of licensing. But, I agree. This is a stupid poll. About 1/4 of all practicing physicians in the U.S. are foreign-trained. I could easily provide a scare-tactic, anecdotal story about any of a number of U.S. graduated/U.S. trained physicians who injured a patient, molested a patient, stole from a patient, used drugs (etc.) and had their license subsequently revoked. What does that prove? Nothing.

Lou Dobbs should be ashamed of the shotty, lop-sided reporting of this piece which goes far, far away from educating the public and shedding any real light on how the GME system works in the U.S.

-Skip

Lou Dobbs is flipping *****. Anybody doing an "investigative" journalistic piece on medicine should know that although not all licensed physicians are educated in the United states, they are all trained in the United states (residency/ board certified).

I am sure there are many IMG's who are incompetent, however, graduating from a US institution does not make a student or a physician immune to incompetence, stupidity or ignorance.
He should have also had the sense to realize that physicians should be rated on their clinical acumen and expertise and not by which medical school they graduated from.

I think Dr. Steph Ewen should write to him and set his fat ass straight.

If you carefully watch his show, his disdain for foreigners is evident. Also blatantly obvious is his lack of understanding of the fact that there are many brilliant people who do not have a US citizenship. Bottom line, this idiot feeds ignorance to an already woefully ignorant general US population

If he is incapable of understanding such basic facts, I seriously doubt his credentials as a "journalist", especially one who has his own show on a major news network like CNN.

Did anyone see the Monday show? What was the final poll outcome? :confused:

Cristagali said:
Did anyone see the Monday show? What was the final poll outcome? :confused:

does that poll really matter? like any other news article i take what lou says with a grain of salt... not all fmg's fit the portrait of his report.

dr. deez said:
does that poll really matter? like any other news article i take what lou says with a grain of salt... not all fmg's fit the portrait of his report.

It matters in that it foments and perpetuates negative stereotypes, in addition to being an exemplary instance of poor journalism.

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
It matters in that it foments and perpetuates negative stereotypes, in addition to being an exemplary instance of poor journalism.

-Skip

i really do not think an unscientific poll from a website visited largely by people that agree with/watch lou dobs (and perhaps disagree) represents what the american people as a whole believe.

skip i agree that this report is indeed an example of poor journalism... however it is kind of pointless to try to win the battle by ranting on sdn about lou dobbs... this is sort of like preaching to the choir. why not write him instead, or insist on a follow up report on fmg training and its benefits?... i don't know i am just trying to help come up with a solution.
later,
d

dr. deez said:
why not write him instead, or insist on a follow up report on fmg training and its benefits?

I did. But, I don't expect much of anything to come of it. As per usual, "yellow" journalism seems to be the modus operandi of the far-too-numerous cable news outlets these days, who appear to be more interested in selling advertising time by stoking people's fears than they are in actually telling the news.

-Skip

There is no journalist who pisses me off more than Lou Dobbs. His views and recent shows have definitely taken on a protectionist bordering on racist slant. Anything that is not American or European gets his contempt. I saw a recent Lou Dobs show about Indian computer programmers - based on the results of one test which I'm sure many don't even know about, he concluded that Indian programmers are inferior --- jeez he is talking about more than 10 million people. These kind of sweeping statements against an entire country or race are not becoming of a journalist with his own show on CNN.

Now, to vent a little bit and stop the PC crap - I wish they'd get his fat pompous a$$ off the show, or have his producer b**ch slap him, or send him to diversity class or something. His views are hateful.

There....I feel better now.