Avefenix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2003
Visit site
Status
Does anybody know about the ENT program in Louisville (training, malignancy)? There was an unexpected PGY-2 opening. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

HighPriest

Specialized in diseases of the head holes
10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Great staff. The director is a fantastic HN surgeon. They are short staffed, and definately need another HN guy and probably another Oto guy. They get good numbers, but the attendings work like dogs and you only see the cases through one set of eyes, so to speak.
The department was recently downgraded from 2 residents per to 1 resident per year. The residents who lived through it and the staff accredit this to one particular resident who happened to have a "very" bad day when the accreditation peeps happened to ask his opinion about the program, but who knows the whole story. What it means is a lot more work for everyone and a lot of paranoia about the accreditation committees.
The residents are extremely friendly, extremely sharp, and very easy to work with. Definately a good group to spend 5 years with. Very little negative competition, and a lot of good banter and traditions. Most of them have families and most of them own houses.
The OtoHNS department is really a division of GenSurg, which is extraordinarily malignant at UofL. It doesn't mean as much if you take a PGY2 spot, but it does mean that the department sometimes gets shut out when they make a request of GenSurg for anything that might funnel funds their way. They do manage, but it's not the same as being your own department.
You rotate through 5 hospitals - Jewish, Norton's, Kosair Children's, the VA and University. All of those places except the VA are within a block or two of each other, and most of them are connected via walkways, which is nice.

Finally, there's Louisville. It's a relatively large town that's nowhere near as large as the people who grew up there might think it is. For it's size it should probably have a better restaurant scene, although you can find most of the basics in their most basic forms. There's a small town attitude throughout the community - everyone knows everything. There really isn't much to do when you actually do have freetime, though. The idea is to drink and keep drinking until you no longer have free time. (and this comes from a guy who likes a drink now and then). Louisville's a great place to visit, and you'll probably have a lot to do the first year you're here. Then it wears thin very quickly. This, of course, is just my opinion and others would disagree about the city. Many people love it here.

OP
A

Avefenix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2003
Visit site
Status
Thanks for the reply. I never knew they got downgraded to 1 resident. I'll keep it mind when I go visit the program. I'm not much of a drinker, but let's see what louisville has to offer besides bars.

About the Ads

droliver

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
May 1, 2001
Status
Attending Physician
Great staff. The director is a fantastic HN surgeon.

The OtoHNS department is really a division of GenSurg, which is extraordinarily malignant at UofL.

Finally, there's Louisville. It's a relatively large town that's nowhere near as large as the people who grew up there might think it is. For it's size it should probably have a better restaurant scene, although you can find most of the basics in their most basic forms. There's a small town attitude throughout the community - everyone knows everything.
The ENT director is a GREAT guy I'd agree. The training program is kind of middle of the road that suffers by comparison to the resources of some of the real powerhouse programs like Iowa. I think most of the residents were happy with their training and it would prepare you very well for private practice ENT.

I'd disagree that UofL is particularly malignant for a surgery program in 2008. The interactions of ENT with the gen surgery division are pretty limited on a resident's level anyway. The interaction with oral surgery & Plastic Surgery are good and we'd frequently have multi-disciplinary cases together (PRS did all the mandibular free flaps).

I'd also disagree with the characterization of the city. Louisville is generally a very popular city with people who moved there to train. It's very similar to Nashville or Birmingham (I've lived in all 3). The hospitals are nice. It has 4 seasons. Housing is cheap. Traffic is minimal. Lots of good schools available. It also is generally though of as having a disproportionate number of outstanding restaurants

HighPriest

Specialized in diseases of the head holes
10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Yep, I'll be the first to admit that most of the people in Louisville like it here. I just don't understand why.

About the Ads