Loupes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaytimex3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am an incoming D1 and have been told by many to purchase loupes my first year. Does anyone have any recommendations on types and magnification?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

3.5x orascoptic

get a lumadent light

Reactions: 1 users
I have the Orascoptic 2.5x, and like them. I wanted Lumadent and worked out a group buy for them which later became a job, so let me know if you're interested in one I can get you a better price and more parts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think getting 3.0 or 3.5X is better since a lot of people have to go up from 2.5X

Reactions: 1 user
I've got q-optics with 2.5x and a lumadent light. Haven't had a pressing need to go beyond the 2.5x. I enjoy having a wide field of view and my posture has benefited from using them. If I was already an excellent dentist and felt that I needed more zoom to do a better job, I could see the need for such. As a student, my biggest obstacle so far has been mastering general techniques.

lumadent light vs orascoptic light...can anyone can compare the quality?

lumadent light + design for vision 3.5x steam frame. killer combination. no one can touch me.

lumadent light vs orascoptic light...can anyone can compare the quality?

battery lasts longer in lumadent i believe.

Q-Optics definitely has the best customer service out there. The Q-Optics has a long battery life of about 14 hours. I definitely would recommend starting with 2.5x. Try both the 2.5x and the 3.0x on and see how you feel. But I definitely think for your first pair of loupes you'll want to stay away from the 3.5x. As a student you get great pricing, so towards the end of dental school you can get a second pair of loupes with higher magnification. It is always good to have a back up pair in case your primary pair needs repairs. Also, you may want lower magnification for certain procedures and higher magnification for other procedures. Hope this helps.

Design for Visions 3.5X Micro EF. Will blow all the above out of the water however cost a tiny bit more. Definitely worth the investment as you will hold onto these into your working years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I vaguely remember looking at a dental brochure at a dental office I work at that was selling loupes for like $500. Should I stay away from these?

I vaguely remember looking at a dental brochure at a dental office I work at that was selling loupes for like $500. Should I stay away from these?
Just like anything, you get what you pay for.

Get 2 pairs. 2.5x is good for regular dentistry, i.e fillings, crowns, ext. Get 3.5 - 4.0 for endo. Get a light from lumadent that will work with both. I have a 2.5 that I use now in school and plan on buying a 3.5 or 4.0 before I graduate to use on endo to take advantage of the student savings. Anything more than a 2.5 for regular dentistry has too small of a view, in my opinion, of course.

Dynamix Loupes

I use a Dynamix Loupes 2.5X magnification with a lumadent light. Never heard of them at first, but they came highly recommended from a friend. They are a lot more comfortable than my old Designs for Vision and the Field of View/Depth of field feels a lot better.

I'm not sure if they do office visits, but here's the site: http://www.dynamixdental.com/

Last edited:
OP probably already purchased his/her pair but I like my 4.3x orascoptic loupes with lumadent lights.

Some of the non-US companies are pretty good as well. I hear good things about Univet and Synca. Apparently, they're high quality products.

I really hope student pricing is better. That is a lot of money.

Q optic 3.5x prisms are $1700 - loupes only. That is student pricing. I didn't look at nonprismatic because the field of view is so much smaller.

that's not student pricing, sorry! but you can imagine the student pricing will be good!
Loupes are expensive. You don't want anything that you will wear on for your eyes every day, for years.
Loupes are NOT the equipment to cheap out on. Especially with dental school costs.
That's like getting a Mercedes Benz with windows you need to manually roll up.

I have an orascoptic 3.8x prismatic and still think it's not enough magnification, but I've heard lots of different opinions among professors and students.
Try them out as much as you can when the reps are there.

One very important thing I don't see mentioned often is that your local rep really matters!!
If you have an awful rep, you're gonna have a bad time. Delayed repairs/adjustments, slow responses, etc will keep you from using your loupes in class.
Make sure you talk to your seniors about this and choose the company with the reliable rep!