Loupes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

HermeytheElf

The dentist I work for is looking into getting some new loupes (he has 2.5X and wants to go up to either 3.5X or 4.5X). Designs for Vision seems to be a pretty popular brand on dentaltown, but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them. If so, what magnification do you have, how much were they, and how satisfied are you?

Members don't see this ad.

HermeytheElf said:
The dentist I work for is looking into getting some new loupes (he has 2.5X and wants to go up to either 3.5X or 4.5X). Designs for Vision seems to be a pretty popular brand on dentaltown, but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them. If so, what magnification do you have, how much were they, and how satisfied are you?

I have Designs for Vision 2.5X and 4.5X wide field loupes. I hardly use the 2.5X anymore. The 4.5X are awesome. The 4.5X take some getting used to, and I didn't use them for about a month after I got them because I was so used to the 2.5X, but after finally just forcing myself to use the 4.5X for a few weeks I almost can't stand NOT to use them now. I don't know how I ever practiced without them. I think I paid around $1600.

how are your eyes now?? isn't it true that the higher the mag the worse your eyes get over time?

Members don't see this ad :)
rocknightmare said:
how are your eyes now?? isn't it true that the higher the mag the worse your eyes get over time?

Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe I'm neurotic. But I swear my eyes have gotten significantly worse in the 2.5 years I've been using my 2.5X loupes.

rocknightmare said:

Still have 20/15 vision.

I think that is an urban legend. It only seems that your vision gets worse because if you try to go back to NOT using loupes, everything looks so damn small........

just got my new 2.5x's and don't know how I worked without them :) my back doesnt hurt anymore and its a lot easier to prep when my head isnt getting in the way of the light, from leaning forward so far to see :thumbup:

HermeytheElf said:

I have been using the 2.5x for about a month, I think that I am going to upgrade to the 3.5x soon though. I love the 2.5x, but I think that I can benefit more from a bit higher mag, even though I will be losing a bit of the field of view. I love the DFV loupes also, I feel like Rivers Cuomo from Weezer. Some may think they are not exactly the coolest looking (many people love the Oakley loupes), but I know that these will last me 10-15 years, not sure the same can be said for other brands.

I have 4.0X EF loupes from designs for vision, and I love them. Every now and then, I won't use them to cut a prep...just to see if I can still do a good job. Thank goodness for magnification...the only con is that you lose a sense of what a .5 mm looks like without the loupes.