Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Loupes

Discussion in 'Dental' started by herewegoagain, May 11, 2007.

1. herewegoagain

2+ Year Member

Soon to be D1 just wondering when students start to use loupes in school? And those that are in school, anything you can share about using them? Nearly all of the dentists I assisted use them, so seems like loupes would be somthing I would like to get aquainted with early. What you all think?

Thanks for the input! (all sarcastic comments welcome)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OceanDMD

OceanDMD Rather be fishing
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Purchase the loupes. Normally they run around 1k to 1.5 k. As a student you can usually get a nice discount to knock them down a few hundred bucks. Your profs will grade with them, and they really make a difference when doing anything cosmetic, and accessing and finding orifices during root canal treatments. The negative is that you will likely become dependent. This means that eventually you will need an extra pair in case you damage them. They will also help with your ergonomics (which is much more important than you think). Good luck in school.

4. INFNITE

INFNITE mmm....doughnut
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    yes, loupes when you start operative and have typodont mounted

5. JavadiCavity

JavadiCavity DDS 2008
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    At Pacific, we could start using our loupes from day 1 because that is when our operative class started. Unfortunately, it took 1 month for us to get our loupes. I used them pretty regulary throughout the first year. Now that I'm in clinic, I use them a little bit less. I have the 4.5x power loupes which are great for detail, but I find myself needing greater field of vision. I love loupes. Wouldn't practice dentistry w/o them.

6. DrJeff

DrJeff Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    For starters, don't get more than 2.5x mag, you NEED that wider field of view as your learning to control that handpiece spinning at 200,000+ RPM's

7. Dental916

Dental916 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

orascoptic are great loupes. Go with 2.5 mag as well. I have them and love them A rep from orascoptic came to NYU and we paid 900 bucks to my door.

8. PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    i was at the IDA convention yesterday and saw some really nice loupes the cost $250-500. same design, quality and everything else as surgitel and orascoptic.
    i bought mine from surgitel last year and paid $1000 and so i am pissed. make sure you look around before you waste your money.

9. scuba5794

scuba5794 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Non-Student

orascoptic is too expensive i would try finding dental loupes at universal medical. you have probably seen their ads around this forum for scrubs and lab coats and other medical stuff. i don't think that the other ones are worth the extra cash just my two cents hope this helps.

10. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I dropped a pretty penny on my Designs for Visions loupes (I didn't really have a choice of course, they were included in my doctoral kit) but I feel like I'm getting my money's worth. Here's why:

1. I have a lifetime warranty on my loupes. As long as they're not stolen, I can get them fixed or replaced if they break, regardless of fault (supposedly).

2. They're customizing the loupes to my needs. I have a janky long working distance because I'm basically a giant, they're fixing them to my exact pupillary distance, etc... It doesn't seem (looking at the university medical website) that they do that. All they have is "one size fits all" ranges.

3. If I decide I don't l;ike my frames, I can exchange them once for free. If my prescription changes, I can change it once for free. If I decide I don't like my fatty 3.5x expanded field galilean uber lenses, I can downgrade them and get my money back.

But then again, I've only been in school for a week...

11. psiyung

psiyung 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

No loupes for me. Mine are collecting dust in my locker somewhere. I tried them on a few times, but got a really bad headache and blurry vision after I used them. Plus, it makes everything too damn big. I never felt anal enough to look that closely at a tooth.

12. johntara04

johntara04 Member
    5+ Year Member

You stinking Pacific students......:D

13. armorshell

Non-Student
    Here's a summary of my first week. I've:
    1. Done four waxups of #10
    2. Cut 3 preps. I have another one due thursday.
    3. I saw 7 patients today for oral health screenings and fluoride varnish for the kids with the S.C.O.P.E. program.
    4. In the past two weeks the 2nd year class has thrown 3 parties at various clubs in San Francisco.
    5. Note I also have biochem, histology and anatomy to worry about also.

Want to guess at how we do it in three years? :p

14. clickytop

clickytop Guest

Dental Student
    I believe you do it by putting you back into it. But then again, what does Ice Cube know about dentistry.

15. vaio

vaio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

i use DFV 2.5x

16. vaio

vaio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

and i luv them btw

i wish i could get one of those fancy lights, if i had another grand to spare :(

17. armorshell

Non-Student
    Good point. You'd probably be better off talking to Dr. Dre about that one. He is a doctor after all...

18. Doctor4329

Doctor4329 Occlusion freak!
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    If you are planning on doing GP, get the loupes. And get them when you first enter pre-clinic. Most people who wait, eventually will not get them because it's too much of a hassle to get use to them after not using them for 4 yrs of school.

Put it this way- Surgeons use loupes and lights- Well, we are doing microsurgery on a tooth, and although it's just a tooth ( and not neuro surgery) , the fact of the matter is , is that your visibility is drastically improved, which will 100% improve your work and make it better. Why settle for anything less?

Dependance? Sure, purhaps....but again, why settle for anything less?

19. armorshell

Non-Student
    Dude, if you plan on specializing you should get the loupes too, because you need every advantage you can get on those practicals/preps.

20. INFNITE

INFNITE mmm....doughnut
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    you can actually get loupes that are less than $400 online. you just have to look around a bit. Yeah, they're not as great as those Orascoptic or Surgitel loupes that cost $1000, but they really aren't that bad either. Personally, i have a $350 set of attached lens 2.5x loupes, and I love it. I'll probably upgrade to a much better set when I start practicing, but for now, no complaints.

21. rsdmd31

rsdmd31 New Member

Pre-Dental
    what if you wear glasses...do you wear them over your glasses, or have the prescription built in?

22. dentheartthrob

dentheartthrob DreamDMDweaver
    10+ Year Member

The loupes im using are the one's people normally use for a hobby but I do get magnifying powers of 2, 2.5, 3, and 3.5. :laugh:

23. armorshell

Non-Student
    You get the prescription made into the loupes or wear contacts under them. Or get laser eye surgery.

24. rals

rals Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    if you get used to using loupes all the time, doesn't that take a toll on your vision at some point?

25. DrJeff

DrJeff Senior Member

Dentist

Not if the focal length and intrapupillary distance are set correctly. They're actually quite easy on your eyes and your back for that matter since the proper focal length will keep you in proper posture while working.

26. rals

rals Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    so would you say that their use in practicing might actually be healthier for you than not?

and would it be ok to buy second-hand adjustable loupes?

and in which year do dental students usually start using these?

27. DrJeff

DrJeff Senior Member

Dentist

A second hand pair can work if they're adjustable. If they're a fixed through the lense loupe, unless you have the essentially the same intrapupillary distance and close to the same arm length + torso length which combined with the "comfort distance" you like to work at determines the focal length, you'll have problems. Those problems can present as double vision, eye fatgue or postural discomfort, things you don't want.

When I bought my first REAL pair of good quality through the lense loupes, I actually had to send them back for adjustment since my left eye "neutral position" is 3mm further away from my midline than my right eye:confused::confused: and it was leading to double vision. So if you were to buy mine, you'd likely have some vision issues, hence adjustable if you're thinking 2nd hand.

I also STRONGLY feel that and dental student in pre-clinic lab SHOULDN'T use loupes. They definately restrict your field of view, and you need as big as field as possible when first learning!

28. Wayne Coronado

Wayne Coronado Edentulistic Savant
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I dropped about 8 bills on a pair of Surgitels with the sleek lightweight Oakley frames. I did not get them until I started clinic and so I was quite comfortable cutting preps without them. They were great for short procedures, but I noticed not so good for longer procedures. The mags were just right (2.5x); however, the frame being so light caused an imbalanced weight distribution with the lenses comprising most of the weight right on the bridge of my nose. After an hour or so of wearing these specs, my nose would get irritated and I would have to take them off. Just my experience, but I definitely used them less because of that.

29. DrJeff

DrJeff Senior Member

Dentist
    So many folks, especially dental students, start off with the Oakley frames, main because of the "cool" factor (I was one of these folks years ago too) and then with passing time, get away from them to the more traditional frame loupe for not just the comfort factor, but often since attached to the Oakley frame is a flip up Loupe, and with time, the flip up apparatus needs maintenance and/or breaks(the more moving parts, the more cahnce of mechanical problems).

If you take a look at dentists that have been practicing for 10 years or more and wear loupes, you'll see a HUGE percentage wearing a through the lense loupe, just simply because they work, they're comfortable, and they rarely(if ever) need maintenance.

30. FlyingSky

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    How does it feel to take off your loupes after a long day of work? I'm wondering if it can cause vision problems?
    All dentists use them?

31. Msmouth

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I currently use loupes as a dental hygienist. I have 2.5X with a light. I think the light is the best part. I had to temp at a different office and forgot my loupes once and I literally felt like I was working in the dark. I will definitely be getting a backup pair.

32. Msmouth

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I was concerned for the same reason. It's not the same as looking in a microscope for hours. I feel no eye strain whatsoever after taking them off. I do use them, however, for only about 45 minutes at a time, because I'm an RDH. I've worked without them for over 13 years and have been using them for over 2 years now. I also asked my eye doctor if they would harm my eyes and he said no.

33. DSizzle36

Go with Orascoptic - they are the best! I had them in school and they were awesome!