Lousy undergrad GPA: options and thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TREX505

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I've recently decided to pursue med school, having resigned the idea after my ugly undergrad performance. Typical story: I was an immature and unmotivated student, and changed majors a few times. Somehow I got into a masters program and did alright (both degrees are in physics). Since gratuating, I've matured a great deal. I am currently a physicist in the military and gained a lot of perspective and motivation. I'd prefer MD programs, but I'd appreciate any advice regarding my options.

Here are my stats:
UG: 2.97 cGPA, 3.21 sGPA (over 200 units)
Grad: 3.29 cGPA/sGPA (QM is hard)
31 yrs old, married, no kids
ECs: Plenty of non-medical volunteer work, good military leadership experience, several strong LORs from PhDs, lots of research experience (no publications).
Considerations: My wife will be in school for the next two years, so part time class is my only option. I'd prefer to have school acceptance (any level) prior to separating from the military. Tuition is not a factor thanks to the GI Bill.

From what I can tell, here are my options:

1. Complete med school prereqs as DIY post bacc. Obviously the quickest option, but 35 units of 4.0 only brings me up to 3.17 cGPA, so not really an option. (2 years taking classes part time, take MCAT, start med school 2016)
2. Complete med school prereqs + Do SMP. It seems like the SMP significantly reduces the importance of undergrad GPA. What are my chances of getting into an SMP? (2 years part time + gap + 1 year full time + gap, start med school 2018).
3. Do TX academic fresh start (I'm a TX resident). Philosophically the most appealing to me. A bit longer than the SMP path, but I'd use this time to gain clinical experience as an ER scribe. I'd think that adcoms would prefer a 4.0 cGPA with fresh start vs a 3.25 cGPA showing killer SMP work + lousy undergrad. (2 years part time + 3 years full time, start med school 2018).

I've done a lot of research, and although I'd love to get this done as quickly as possible, I know its more important to do it well.

SMP vs AFS? In this situation, which would be better? Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you find the idea of staying in TX appealing, then def pursue AFS. It will give you a small AMCAS GPA boost as well, but that would be secondary. If you do well (>35) on the MCAT, you'll get some interview invites from non-TX programs even with your low GPA due to research + military leadership. You'll get screened a lot too though, so applying broadly would be important. One point re: Post 9/11 GI bill - it covers full tuition only at public institutions. At privates, there are limitations to the total amount that it will cover. It gets complex (unless you choose a public school). Regardless, if you do AFS + decent MCAT you should have success at TX programs. Just make sure that your wife is comfortable with the idea of TX; not sure what her program is in, can make a difference. Sounds like you're not in a hurry (being in a hurry crushes a lot of rehab dreams around here), and it sounds like you have a couple of well-thought out plans. Success-based, I would call them. Best of luck and welcome to the forum.

For DO schools, you're competitive right now as long as you have a decent MCAT.

For MD programs, I'd recommend a one-year SMP, preferably given by a medical school.

Many thanks for your service to your country!

Hi All, I've recently decided to pursue med school, having resigned the idea after my ugly undergrad performance. Typical story: I was an immature and unmotivated student, and changed majors a few times. Somehow I got into a masters program and did alright (both degrees are in physics). Since gratuating, I've matured a great deal. I am currently a physicist in the military and gained a lot of perspective and motivation. I'd prefer MD programs, but I'd appreciate any advice regarding my options.

Here are my stats:
UG: 2.97 cGPA, 3.21 sGPA (over 200 units)
Grad: 3.29 cGPA/sGPA (QM is hard)
31 yrs old, married, no kids
ECs: Plenty of non-medical volunteer work, good military leadership experience, several strong LORs from PhDs, lots of research experience (no publications).
Considerations: My wife will be in school for the next two years, so part time class is my only option. I'd prefer to have school acceptance (any level) prior to separating from the military. Tuition is not a factor thanks to the GI Bill.

From what I can tell, here are my options:

1. Complete med school prereqs as DIY post bacc. Obviously the quickest option, but 35 units of 4.0 only brings me up to 3.17 cGPA, so not really an option. (2 years taking classes part time, take MCAT, start med school 2016)
2. Complete med school prereqs + Do SMP. It seems like the SMP significantly reduces the importance of undergrad GPA. What are my chances of getting into an SMP? (2 years part time + gap + 1 year full time + gap, start med school 2018).
3. Do TX academic fresh start (I'm a TX resident). Philosophically the most appealing to me. A bit longer than the SMP path, but I'd use this time to gain clinical experience as an ER scribe. I'd think that adcoms would prefer a 4.0 cGPA with fresh start vs a 3.25 cGPA showing killer SMP work + lousy undergrad. (2 years part time + 3 years full time, start med school 2018).

I've done a lot of research, and although I'd love to get this done as quickly as possible, I know its more important to do it well.

SMP vs AFS? In this situation, which would be better? Any input would be appreciated.