love letters anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roseG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been receiving e-mails from program directors as the rank lists are going in and they are SO encouraging (as they are from my top three programs). I want to take this as a good sign but I have heard, of horror stories where program directors send "love letters" but student's don't end up matching there at all.

I'm not trying to change my rank list or anything like that based on the e-mails. I guess i'm just wondering, do I take it with a grain of salt? Can I get my hopes up? Should I respond to the e-mails (of just my top three)?

The e-mails weren't a generalized "we liked you, hope you consider us" it was very personalized and specific to why they liked me and why they think I would be a good fit for the program, mentioned things that were discussed during the interview, etc...ahhh...come quickly March 20th!

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard anything from anyone apart from a few generic emails that seem like they're sent out to everyone. Hopefully that's not a bad sign.

I got one early last month that made me feel like the only girl in the world... lol other than that... nothing

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Over the Christmas holiday I got a really nice, hand written card from the PD of the program I matched into yesterday. I know of other people who received no correspondence whatsoever, and still matched, however.

I have posted my son's story previously here on SDN. DO NOT trust any of these PD's especially sending love letters. Hand written personalized note in Xmas card in 2009/10 FM in Chicago (8 positions). Even a second look visit, emails to than chief residents, emails to PC. He was #31 on their list which made it to #12. All the BS. He than scrambled into prelim GS for 2010. Prematched in 5 programs in 2011 match, chose NJ one. Now Senior Staff in Urgent Care NYC, on staff Mt Sinai Hospital, boarded in FM, licensed in NY, NJ, FL. Again love letters are just paper no value.
In my time, 1970's, a love letter had value and substance. Signed letters were the gospel,I had 4 from Plastic Residencies, no match just letters in those days.

Man, this whole process is seriously such a weird experience...

What about a letter that specifically states that you're in their top 10 and ranked to match? Surely honest?

What about a letter that specifically states that you're in their top 10 and ranked to match? Surely honest?
Maybe. Would you bet your future on it?

Take these letters for the ego boost that they are and then bring yourself back to reality and make your rank list accordingly. These letters really shouldn't be a factor in your application process.

Ever seen all those threads that are applicants saying some version of "how many places should I send your-my-favorite letters to?" Programs do that too.

I call BS on heybert. Do not believe anything these letters say.

I call BS on heybert. Do not believe anything these letters say.

Really? I thought that the horror stories you hear on here are usually someone reading too much into a letter of interest and then taking to the internet to vent after not matching there. Examples include "we are now sitting down to do our rank list and believe that you are an extremely competitive applicant who would flourish here with us"
Sounds great but still non-committal.

Mine was from a major US institution. They said. Dear Heybert, We have X number of places. You are ranked in our top X and therefore ranked to match.

I know nothing is concrete until match day but surely that would be going far beyond the typical selling to applicants and bordering on down right deceitful.

I ve been wondering about this also? I havent had too much post interview correspondence with programs but from what I heard from some residents and other people associated with some residencies is that many places are moving to the policy of not having too much post interview correspondence with applicants? Do you guys agree with this? Is this the trend with your programs?

But I did receive a few emails along the lines of..."we think you re a good fit for our program and would be very happy/pleased if you matched with our program..." nothing "commital" but positive I guess, but kinda vague? What do you guys make of comments like that?

With that said I do know many people who matched that had ZERO post interview correspondence with programs??