Plan to apply to FM, letter of rec from a psychiatrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

retroflex

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year medical student planning to go into family medicine. I am on psychiatry as my first rotation and just finished up 2 weeks on inpatient psychiatry. My attending pulled me aside today after rounds (my last day with this team) and said that I am one of the best medical students he has ever worked with in his career (not trying to sound like a dbag, just trying to provide context around why I would ask for an LOR). He is well-known in the field and considered to be an expert on a specific disorder, has tons of research, has written textbook chapters, etc. Not that his reputation as a letter writer would likely matter for someone applying FM.

Is it a good idea to ask for an LOR from him? Since this is my first rotation and it’s in psych, LORs weren’t even on my radar and I don’t really know of the strategy behind them for FM. Only reason I ask is I don't want to leave what sounds like a very strong opportunity for an LOR on the table. I feel like a letter rom a psychiatrist isn’t all that random for FM since I will likely see a ton of mental health issues in FM residency and beyond (I think). However, I have only spent 2 weeks with him. Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For family medicine, most programs want three letters of rec. I would make sure that you have at least one from a family doctor, but it is totally fine / normal to have letters from other specialties as well, especially ones that are very pertinent to family medicine like psych, peds, OBGYN, etc. Sounds like this person would be willing to write you a great letter and I would certainly take them up on it.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a 3rd year medical student planning to go into family medicine. I am on psychiatry as my first rotation and just finished up 2 weeks on inpatient psychiatry. My attending pulled me aside today after rounds (my last day with this team) and said that I am one of the best medical students he has ever worked with in his career (not trying to sound like a dbag, just trying to provide context around why I would ask for an LOR). He is well-known in the field and considered to be an expert on a specific disorder, has tons of research, has written textbook chapters, etc. Not that his reputation as a letter writer would likely matter for someone applying FM.

Is it a good idea to ask for an LOR from him? Since this is my first rotation and it’s in psych, LORs weren’t even on my radar and I don’t really know of the strategy behind them for FM. Only reason I ask is I don't want to leave what sounds like a very strong opportunity for an LOR on the table. I feel like a letter rom a psychiatrist isn’t all that random for FM since I will likely see a ton of mental health issues in FM residency and beyond (I think). However, I have only spent 2 weeks with him. Thanks for your input!
Never turn down getting a strong LOR. Worst case scenario you don't assign it to any programs if you have better ones, but it's better for you to have more strong letters to pick and choose from when you actually apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
More the merrier, right? You should get LOR from him.

I feel like at least 40% of my day involves psychiatry

Also you should consider psych.

I feel like at least 40% of my day involves psychiatry

Also you should consider psych.

I considered it for a bit, thought deeply about it for about a week, then came to the conclusion that I overwhelmingly would rather pursue FM.

It seems like a great field though with a lot of opportunity now and in the future. Why do you recommend considering it?

I considered it for a bit, thought deeply about it for about a week, then came to the conclusion that I overwhelmingly would rather pursue FM.

It seems like a great field though with a lot of opportunity now and in the future. Why do you recommend considering it?
Psychiatry pays better for the most part and they seem to have a much better work life balance

There is the risk of getting bored I suppose

And it seems you have an aptitude for it based on the attendings compliment