Love letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frenchfries1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I haven't received love letters/phone calls from a program...does that mean they aren't going to rank me highly?

Anyone match at their top choice without receiving a love letter/phone call?

Members don't see this ad.

If I haven't received love letters/phone calls from a program...does that mean they aren't going to rank me highly?

DON'T PANIC

programs only send those letters to people at the top of their lists, many times only to those who are guaranteed a spot should they want it. But ALL programs fall down their list, the question is only "how much". I would estimate that 10% of the applicant pool receives 99% of those letters. They obviously can't accept all those positions.

Don't try to read into not getting a call/email. Some PDs just don't do it. Nothing you can do about it anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do places like mgh and ucsf send love letters? Or are they too cool for that?

Several years ago they were not too cool for that. Only one I encountered that was too cool for that was BWH, they wouldn't even pay for my parking.

The big question is - do you write love letters to programs? Did you let your number one know they are number one, or not since you are still debating?

I made my number one be aware of this fact, but now I am considering switching them to number two. Am I required to inform them should I be changing my ranking?

The big question is - do you write love letters to programs? Did you let your number one know they are number one, or not since you are still debating?

I made my number one be aware of this fact, but now I am considering switching them to number two. Am I required to inform them should I be changing my ranking?

Every year people ask about this stuff. Answer rarely changes. Don't bother sending these emails. If each side ranks appropriately, none of the gamesmanship matters. Your post is a cautionary tale. You're now sorta screwed. If you inform them you are not ranking them #1, it may hurt your ranking; if you don't and they ranked you to match and you end up elsewhere, they'll know it and forget doing fellowship there.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with above.

I think the only solution your problem, Lala, is to rank them where you feel appropriate and shut your yap. If you don't get your #1 and fall to them, hey, no one will ever know. Did they tell you how you rank on their list? I think the only purpose of giving this kind of information is to influence the rank (probably not going to happen for anyone) and to elicit a response like "Hey, we like you too! And you are sorta near the top of our list and have a good shot!". If you did not get this kind of response, then I doubt they will remember you sent them a love letter in the first place.

Thank you very much for your input! I totally agree that it is a ridiculous practice, and I always felt pressure to select my number one program and let them know.
Why?
Well, simply because PDs do tell you, that if you really want to be there, they will definately take it into consideration for ranking. Yes, I have a very clear understnding that this is nothing other than elegant manipulation, but it works every year just fine.
This particular program knows me quite well, they followed up with me after the interview, and I have the outmost respect for the faculty there. So the reality is I either keep them as number one, or let them know if I change the rank, even if it hurts me. Good lesson for the next match generation, but I guess this is a classical match scenario. Thanks again)