Love Psych but can't handle the patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoodyHoo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year and have not yet had a psych rotation. I was just wondering if any of you really have a true passion for psychiatry but feel like you are not able to handle or deal with the patients you see?

I just have a bad feeling that I'm not going to be good with those patients even though I really enjoy psychiatry. we will see I guess.

Did any of you have this problem before actually experiencing psych at a clinical level??

Members don't see this ad.

HoodyHoo said:
I am a third year and have not yet had a psych rotation. I was just wondering if any of you really have a true passion for psychiatry but feel like you are not able to handle or deal with the patients you see?

I just have a bad feeling that I'm not going to be good with those patients even though I really enjoy psychiatry. we will see I guess.

Did any of you have this problem before actually experiencing psych at a clinical level??

I'm a 4th year who is starting to apply to psych programs. I was also concerned about how I would deal with psychotic patients, even though I loved studying psych out of a textbook. But once I did my 3rd year clerkship, I realized that these patients people really had medical conditions that deserved just as much, if not more, compassion as someone with heart disease, for example. Seeing psychiatric diseases in context of how much some of these people must be suffering made it easier to respect the patient as a person and to deal with the strange things they might do or say. But the only way you'll know how you'll deal with the patients is to do the clerkship....Good luck!