Love the city but save $$ too...CCOM, PCOM, Finch???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

franklinthedog

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any takers....I would like to be in a big city but would like 4 things...1--decent cost of living 2--non-outrageous tuition 3--decent access to city life 4--great academic prep for boards and residency

Based on that, what does anyone think of CCOM vs. PCOM vs. Finch (MD) school?

Thanks in advance for any takers

Members don't see this ad.

why don't you go to NYCOM? it's in the biggest city in the US and cheapest tuition of the four and it's got access to good hospitals around NY.

I wanted to but it didn't feel right. The tuition may be decent, but the cost of living is very high for someone on out-of-state tuition loans. I love NYC but am not crazy about Long Island (which is very expensive also). NYCOM doesn't even have a gym. Don't get me wrong, it's a good school but it wasn't for me. It felt like a commuter school (to me). I plan on doing clerkships/residencies in NYC anyway. I am not bashing NYCOM, I just felt like I would lose money there and spend too much time having fun in NYC.

anyone else want to comment on the schools....

thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't decide on Finch until you hold an acceptance letter. You will save yourself a headache.
Just my opinion.

tuition isn't cheap, cost of living isn't cheap (but i'm sure it's cheaper than long island), but you're only 10 minutes from center city-PCOM. the school has an amazing gym from your prior post), facilities are absolutely incredible, and philly is just a cool city all around. i'm assuming you've already been there, accepted, etc?? the school is very friendly and every student i talked to wouldn't have chosen to go elsewhere if given the chance. and rotation and clerkships are also very strong in philly. if you like the city, PCOM has everything a med student could possibly want.

If there is any possibility that you want to go into a surgical subspecialty or radiology then you should consider Finch. It'll be less hastle in the long run. There are opportunities in the DO world for surg subspecialties/rads, but the majority aren't in desirable locations. I am NOT comparing the qualities of the educations.

Thanks all of you for posting, keep 'em coming. I owe each one of you a beer tonight!

I have upcoming interviews at all 3 schools, I'm very interested in all 3 at this point. I've lived in/been to DC and NYC extensively, but never to Chicago or Philadelphia. I've heard good things about all 3 schools really....I appreciate everyone's help!

Any more takers?

finch is really expensive, 38K. North Chicago isn't much. Cost of living is pretty high if you want to live anywhere else in the county (9th richest county in the nation). It'll take you at least 45 minutes to get to downtown Chicago without any traffic...which only happens between 2 and 5 am. Just my opinion. I live 20 minutes from Finch. Good Luck with your decision!

dunno if this is still a relevant thread to you guys. But speaking as a soon-to-be Finch grad, CMS is a nice up-and-coming school. Yes, tuition is a ridiculous, and our location sucks in the suburbs, but overall it's still a decent school, and we seem to be matching in better residencies every year...

let me know if there are any specific questions i could answer for you.

I'm also a student at Rosalind Franklin University (formerly Finch), and I really like it here too. We've been promised a tuition freeze and I was given (along with many others who applied) a drop in tuition by $2500. The facilities are new, with more to come apparently around the corner. And like Mediocre mentioned, the matches look better and better each year, with board scores above the national average. That's something to be proud of! :clap:

mediocre said:
and our location sucks in the suburbs,

I think being in the suburbs will work to your advantage for the first two years since you won't be too distracted or tempted to "explore" the nearby city. At least the city is close enough to do some fun stuff, but not too close that it's a huge distraction. So, the suburbs (at least for the book part of med school) gives you the best of both worlds. BTW, I chose to go to CCOM because it had everything I was looking for, aside from tuition, that is. It's cheaper than L.A. (gas prices are outrageous) and it's in a wonderful area along with the fact that everyone there seemed really genuine and friendly.

Good luck on your decision. :)

thanks everyone for all the comments....i just got into ccom and should be hearing from finch soon (just interviewed there last week)....both schools are great and i think chicago is going to be fun...

anyone else have any input? as always, thanks in advance.

franklinthedog