Low CARS (verbal) but decent MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladysmanfelpz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've taken the MCAT 3 times all very similar, but that fricken verbal is killing me. I took the old one twice and just received my 01/22 test date score back today. Breakdowns on the old were 09/07/09 first take, improved to 10/07/09 within only a month, shooting mainly to raise my 37th percentile verbal score as I was getting 9's and 10's on practice material, but obviously failed. Studying for the 2015 I remained much more relaxed and remained about where I was at with slight improvements in all areas. I didn't see CARS as a challenge with more time for passages and had already developed my technique and was doing well on practice material. Received scores back today and breakdown goes like so: 125, 123, 128, 127 for a total of 503. The CARS was a dismal 33rd percentile. Now I am not disappointed with my score (I scored 503 on both practice exams), but did not think I did that poorly on CARs with a 126 on sample test and 125 on practice 1. What the heck do you all think happened? How do schools interpret this?

I will be a third year applicant with a 3.26 sGPA and 3.47 cGPA. Volunteer and work in the field as well. I thought the concern with top DO schools was my low science GPA as I also have multiple retakes to achieve that score, but frankly I slacked off and overloaded my schedule making it much more difficult on myself. The MCAT's show I am competent in all realms of science with a 10 on the old physical, and a 128 on bio and biochemical. But the fact that I have the weakest verbal across the board makes me feel and appear like an idiot. I didn't think I would get so upset with this, but it is frustrating. I said I wanted at least my practice tests scores, which I achieved, but if I could have even gotten a semi-reasonable CARS that would be a 505, which is the average for MSU, which in my understanding is one of the top DO schools.

Now I know some schools don't weigh Verbal as heavy as it can be hit or miss, but I missed 3 times! PNWU says they mainly look at the sciences, but I am a WA resident, and frankly I do not really want to go to school in Yakima. Its like all the aspects are there, but I was the kid in 7th grade still sounding out consonants to read aloud the paragraph to the class :asshat:. I took it 3 times to show that my sGPA was a mistake, but man still a 505 looks a lot better than a 503 and its all related to something that has nothing to do with the material to be studied! What other schools will look past verbal and see I can do well in the sciences? Does the higher science scores make up for low sGPA? Is there any hope for me elsewhere besides LECOM and PNWU?

Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

So I've taken the MCAT 3 times all very similar, but that fricken verbal is killing me. I took the old one twice and just received my 01/22 test date score back today. Breakdowns on the old were 09/07/09 first take, improved to 10/07/09 within only a month, shooting mainly to raise my 37th percentile verbal score as I was getting 9's and 10's on practice material, but obviously failed. Studying for the 2015 I remained much more relaxed and remained about where I was at with slight improvements in all areas. I didn't see CARS as a challenge with more time for passages and had already developed my technique and was doing well on practice material. Received scores back today and breakdown goes like so: 125, 123, 128, 127 for a total of 503. The CARS was a dismal 33rd percentile. Now I am not disappointed with my score (I scored 503 on both practice exams), but did not think I did that poorly on CARs with a 126 on sample test and 125 on practice 1. What the heck do you all think happened? How do schools interpret this?

I will be a third year applicant with a 3.26 sGPA and 3.47 cGPA. Volunteer and work in the field as well. I thought the concern with top DO schools was my low science GPA as I also have multiple retakes to achieve that score, but frankly I slacked off and overloaded my schedule making it much more difficult on myself. The MCAT's show I am competent in all realms of science with a 10 on the old physical, and a 128 on bio and biochemical. But the fact that I have the weakest verbal across the board makes me feel and appear like an idiot. I didn't think I would get so upset with this, but it is frustrating. I said I wanted at least my practice tests scores, which I achieved, but if I could have even gotten a semi-reasonable CARS that would be a 505, which is the average for MSU, which in my understanding is one of the top DO schools.

Now I know some schools don't weigh Verbal as heavy as it can be hit or miss, but I missed 3 times! PNWU says they mainly look at the sciences, but I am a WA resident, and frankly I do not really want to go to school in Yakima. Its like all the aspects are there, but I was the kid in 7th grade still sounding out consonants to read aloud the paragraph to the class :asshat:. I took it 3 times to show that my sGPA was a mistake, but man still a 505 looks a lot better than a 503 and its all related to something that has nothing to do with the material to be studied! What other schools will look past verbal and see I can do well in the sciences? Does the higher science scores make up for low sGPA? Is there any hope for me elsewhere besides LECOM and PNWU?

Thanks everyone

I took the MCAT three times, as well. 24 (8/6/10), 26 (8/8/10), and, finally, a 516 (128/129/129/130). As of now, I'm going to LECOM-B. Also got accepted to Nova, but turned it down because I feel it's too expensive with my pre-existing debt.

Don't act like you're too good for LECOM. You would be fortunate to get in anywhere, including LECOM.

Reactions: 2 users
I got a 500 (127,123,127,123) and was still able to get four interviews (RVU, PNWU, SOMA, and LECOM-SH). Just found out your application.
You want them to say "his MCAT may not be great but _______looks impressive".

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the MCAT three times, as well. 24 (8/6/10), 26 (8/8/10), and, finally, a 516 (128/129/129/130). As of now, I'm going to LECOM-B. Also got accepted to Nova, but turned it down because I feel it's too expensive with my pre-existing debt.

Don't act like you're too good for LECOM. You would be fortunate to get in anywhere, including LECOM.

Not saying I am too good at all. I would just like other interview opportunities instead of being limited. Obviously I didn't knock it out of the park like you did, but does tenacity have any factor in the application?

I have a 3.9 overall gpa from my Masters of Science. I have a 3.4 overall science gpa and a 489 (124 on CARS) on the new MCAT. URM. Attended very highly ranked schools. Six years of research experience. 2 years clinical experience. Lots of volunteering. Do I have a chance?

Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason as to why you don't want to go to school in Yakima?
I'm out of state and was just wondering what the area is like, if I decide to apply there :p

All my life I have known Yakima as the "armpit of Washington".
Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason as to why you don't want to go to school in Yakima?
I'm out of state and was just wondering what the area is like, if I decide to apply there :p

Reactions: 1 user
All my life I have known Yakima as the "armpit of Washington".

This^^^

But can we get back on topic. Looking at other what are my chances threads a 122 CARS can be damning, but that is comparable to a 5-6 on the old MCAT. I got 7's across the board. Is that acceptable by a school such as RVU? Obviously I can do better, but thats how my tests came out. This really sucks :arghh:

Reactions: 1 user
This^^^

But can we get back on topic. Looking at other what are my chances threads a 122 CARS can be damning, but that is comparable to a 5-6 on the old MCAT. I got 7's across the board. Is that acceptable by a school such as RVU? Obviously I can do better, but thats how my tests came out. This really sucks :arghh:
I would definitely consider a retake. I think they only overlooked my low CARS because I have a 3.9 s&cGPA.

Yeah, but all for verbal. Is that necessary? Don't adcoms look at breakdown as well? I know its the low end of acceptance for verbal, but I don't think its a deal breaker.

I have a 3.9 overall gpa from my Masters of Science. I have a 3.4 overall science gpa and a 489 (124 on CARS) on the new MCAT. URM. Attended very highly ranked schools. Six years of research experience. 2 years clinical experience. Lots of volunteering. Do I have a chance?

Probably since you are URM. I would still retake though. You have plenty of time.

Yeah, but all for verbal. Is that necessary? Don't adcoms look at breakdown as well? I know its the low end of acceptance for verbal, but I don't think its a deal breaker.

There have been people on here who even got into MD schools with a 6 in Verbal

I was that student that never knew why I was failing the CARS section when I would always walk out of the test feeling like I aced that section. I was that student that always thought CARS is something you cannot study for. I was also that student that took the test twice and got a 123 both times. The only thing I did differently when taking the test the third time around was that I practiced with more stringent time conditions and with many passages. I also took the passages and pasted them onto a microsoft doc and zoomed out to 120% and practice with this zoomed setting so that I can stimulate the real mcat testing situation. I did it!!! I finally broke the 123 barrier and got a 127. The reason why I am saying this is I was extremely depressed that my score was 123 for the longest time and taking the test a third time was a lot of pressure, but I still managed to improve so don't lose hope! A bit about me…I took the mcat at the end of sophomore year summer after 3 months of studying and got a 26. I took the new version of the mcat having studied for an additional 3 more months and got a 502 (26 again). The third time I took the test I got a 506 (29) and now I'm getting ready to apply! So don't lose hope or get overwhelmed by the # of posts with 510+ because statistics show that there is only 33% of the population getting that score and much lower percentages for scores that are 520+. Only people who do well post so don't let that bother you. Just keep practicing! Good luck!!!

I'm sure you will get in to an amazing DO school :). If you could take a gap year though I would work on taking classes at either community college or doing a post bad program to improve your gpa. But I believe your mcat is good enough! Best of luck!

I got a 500 (127,123,127,123) and was still able to get four interviews (RVU, PNWU, SOMA, and LECOM-SH). Just found out your application.
You want them to say "his MCAT may not be great but _______looks impressive".
Wow! That's fantastic! Extremely motivational.

I'm applying this cycle with a 501 & 500 with 3.34cGPA 3.29sGPA with stellar EC's (NY resident) Would you mind sharing your stats and state of residence? I'd really appreciate it because your story seems really motivational! If not, not worries. Still motivational :)

Edit: Also, how many schools did you apply to??? I applied super broadly (31 schools) and am already verified! PM me if you'd like!

Wow! That's fantastic! Extremely motivational.

I'm applying this cycle with a 501 & 500 with 3.34cGPA 3.29sGPA with stellar EC's (NY resident) Would you mind sharing your stats and state of residence? I'd really appreciate it because your story seems really motivational! If not, not worries. Still motivational :)

Edit: Also, how many schools did you apply to??? I applied super broadly (31 schools) and am already verified! PM me if you'd like!
3.75 cGPA
3.82 sGPA
Biochemistry Major WA resident
500 MCAT 127,123,127,123
About 75 shadowing hours DO and MD. FM, EM, anesthesia, plastic surgery, interventional radiology, ENT.
200 hours of patient exposure. Emergency Room Volunteer
1000+ Research hours with 2 publications, 3 posters and one oral.
Various volunteer opportunities including special needs soccer coach, chemistry tutor, food distribution center for the needy, and others.
Leadership. 1 year as president of chemistry society, 2 years president/founder of biochemistry research paper club, lived in Brazil for 2 years for a church mission and had various leadership roles.
LORs. One from a FM MD that I shadowed for about 30 hours (also happened to be where my wife worked as an MA). One from an organic chemistry teacher that I tutored for and did well in her class. The other from my anatomy teacher that I really enjoyed and I thought he would have good things to say.
I applied to 6 schools (RVU, MWU, SOMA, PNWU, DMU, LECOM). Got hard rejects at MWU and DMU but interview invites at the others. I guess I shouldn't have expected much seeing as how my secondaries were complete right before thanksgiving.
Once I went to the RVU interview though I was sold. I loved it so much there that when I got my acceptance two weeks later I cancelled my other interviews.