Low CARS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Armoboy21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just got my MCAT results back and got a 504 (127/122/127/128). I am very worried that my low CARS score will prevent me from even being accepted by DO schools. I want nothing more than anything to get into medical school! Could someone give me some insight. I even heard schools have cut offs for individual sections. What are they because I’ve read multiple forums and some say below 125 are screened yet others say not.

Beyond mcat I hold a gpa of 3.94 and lots of ECs such as both clinical and non clinical volunteering, work as an EMT, and research.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I just got my MCAT results back and got a 504 (127/122/127/128). I am very worried that my low CARS score will prevent me from even being accepted by DO schools. I want nothing more than anything to get into medical school! Could someone give me some insight. I even heard schools have cut offs for individual sections. What are they because I’ve read multiple forums and some say below 125 are screened yet others say not.

Beyond mcat I hold a gpa of 3.94 and lots of ECs such as both clinical and non clinical volunteering, work as an EMT, and research.

Thank you in advance!

You’ll be perfectly fine! Also, not the right place to post this thread

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI got accepted to 4 DO schools so far!!! Low cars didn’t seemed to impact me the way I originally thought. Happy and excited!

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah you are fine. I got a 506 with 123 CARS and no one asked me about it. 3 offers and a WL.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve been accepted to MD schools with a 120 in CARS.
I had strong letters. Good PS. Good ECs. Research. Publications. 3K+ clinical hours. Etc.

one red flag may not be the end if you have a great application already. Aside from 120 I had 128+ in every other section.

But I did go from a 122 on my first attempt, to a 120 on my second attempt. But on my second attempt my other section scores increased. At my intervied in Oakland they said they have accepted a 118 before. So some schools don’t care about cars. If I can score 130 and 129 on the (more important lol ) science section. Are you worried about me failing out? I know there is a correlation with score and step 1 but also step 1 is all science!

Reactions: 1 users
I had strong letters. Good PS. Good ECs. Research. Publications. 3K+ clinical hours. Etc.

one red flag may not be the end if you have a great application already. Aside from 120 I had 128+ in every other section.

But I did go from a 122 on my first attempt, to a 120 on my second attempt. But on my second attempt my other section scores increased. At my intervied in Oakland they said they have accepted a 118 before. So some schools don’t care about cars. If I can score 130 and 129 on the (more important lol ) science section. Are you worried about me failing out? I know there is a correlation with score and step 1 but also step 1 is all science!

amazing !!! i am in a similar boat. Ive started to put together a new list of schools bc of it. definitely have oakland on there.

Last edited:

Hi

Hi! Can I ask you for some advice?

Reactions: 1 user
I have two accounts on here. I am sadlyanon but I have been locked out. What is your question?

I read your post about being accepted to Oakland with a 120 in CARS.
I am also in a similar situation. I went from a 123 on my first attempt to a 120 on my second attempt, but my other section scores increased drastically. I also have 2 first author publications, good PS, ECs and letter of recs.

I am working on my secondary for Oakland now. I wanted to ask if you have any advice for me on how to proceed with my low CARS score.

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

Thank you in advance!
Don't worry same CARS score and have been accepted to ARCOM and PIKESVILLE