sortagrownup

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
Status
I received my COMLEX score two weeks ago and scored a 450/79. Glad I passed, bummed that the score is sooo low.

My plan has always been to participate in the AOA match. As such, I didn't even entertain the idea of taking the USMLE although I used FA to study. With such a low COMLEX score I was wondering what are my chances to match in the fields that I want.

I'm interested in Family Medicine and Internal Medicine in the Northeast (esp NY/NJ/PA), CA, IL, or TX -- special attention towards urban area settings. I've taken baby steps in declaring interest in certain DO residencies (i.e., making initial contact with their PDs for possible elective rotations). Location is pretty crucial to me.

I had some interest in EM, especially in the combined IM/EM or FM/EM programs but those are likely out of the question now ...

Other information about me: good grades in OMS-I, mediocre in OMS-II (failed 1 class; otherwise no issues). Member of some school organizations though no leadership position. Volunteer in local school clinic when time permitted (which wasn't much). Spent half of my summer between OMS-I and OMS-II volunteering in South America. The last time I did research work was back in undergrad for HHMI; it wasn't medical though but I did 2 poster presentations for it.

I'm mulling over taking the USMLE in October (I have an OMM rotation then) but I fail to see how that's helpful for my AOA match. Right now the plan is to focus on my rotations, shelf exams, and redeeming myself in COMLEX Level II. Oh, and applying very broadly.

Am I being realistic with my goals here? How out-of-reach are the FM and IM residencies that I want? How about EM and the combined residencies?

Any advice would be appreciated.

okayplayer

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
May 15, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
You're going to be absolutely fine for FM or IM on the osteopathic side of things.

This will be an excellent link for you: http://www.do-online.org/index.cfm?PageID=sir_match08res

As you can see there are dozens of unfilled FM/IM spots in the osteopathic match. I would say if you work hard third year and get good evals/test scores and improve on Comlex Level II you will have plenty of options.

Best of luck to you.