Low Cum-High(er) Science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrissy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

Just a general question about a lop-sided GPA....by the time i apply next may, it looks like I'll have around a 3.6 science GPA (53 credits) with a 3.16 cum including post bacc ouch!....i feel like it's more common to see the opposite. Does anyone have any idea of how a situation like this is looked upon by an adcom? I'm a post bacc (finish pre-reqs + some upper levels). Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat. After graduating college I had no BCPM gpa at all, and now that I'm starting a post bac, my stats so far are cum gpa: 3.20 and BCPM 4.0. While it would be nice to hold the science gpa at 4.0, realistically I'll finish lower than that, but still... there's a big gap between the two, though of course I'm totally proud of my postbac gpa so far and I think it says a lot! Anyway, I've tried asking this question before on SDN and couldn't get a good answer. Any help?

I was pretty much the same, but my cum GPA was not quite as low as the op. I think my cum GPA was about 3.4 (including post-bac), and my BCPM was about 3.7. However, I had a very distinct upward trent-- fresh, soph years of undergrad were low, and then I got my act together in the last half of undergrad, and of course I was focused in my post-bac. I got my BA in something unrelated to science/medicine, so none of my poor grades were in my BCPM.

I got in to 2 schools. No one ever asked me about it in interviews, but I did get comments in interviews like, "Well, you are a very qualified applicant. Your academic background proves you can do the work." So, perhaps the big upward trend did that. Not sure, but I had no problem. Oh and my MCAT was not through the roof, although that would have helped.

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only one that found the OP's title a tad inappropriate :p

Am I the only one that found the OP's title a tad inappropriate :p

Not inappropriate... but yeah, I initially read it in a dirty manner too. More a sign where my mind is!

definitely definitely definitely didn't mean anything innapropriate!

That's pretty funny. This thread belongs in a spam folder.