Low Cum-High(er) Science?

Started by Chrissy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Chrissy

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey all,

Just a general question about a lop-sided GPA....by the time i apply next may, it looks like I'll have around a 3.6 science GPA (53 credits) with a 3.16 cum including post bacc ouch!....i feel like it's more common to see the opposite. Does anyone have any idea of how a situation like this is looked upon by an adcom? I'm a post bacc (finish pre-reqs + some upper levels). Thanks!!
 
I'm in the same boat. After graduating college I had no BCPM gpa at all, and now that I'm starting a post bac, my stats so far are cum gpa: 3.20 and BCPM 4.0. While it would be nice to hold the science gpa at 4.0, realistically I'll finish lower than that, but still... there's a big gap between the two, though of course I'm totally proud of my postbac gpa so far and I think it says a lot! Anyway, I've tried asking this question before on SDN and couldn't get a good answer. Any help?
 
I was pretty much the same, but my cum GPA was not quite as low as the op. I think my cum GPA was about 3.4 (including post-bac), and my BCPM was about 3.7. However, I had a very distinct upward trent-- fresh, soph years of undergrad were low, and then I got my act together in the last half of undergrad, and of course I was focused in my post-bac. I got my BA in something unrelated to science/medicine, so none of my poor grades were in my BCPM.

I got in to 2 schools. No one ever asked me about it in interviews, but I did get comments in interviews like, "Well, you are a very qualified applicant. Your academic background proves you can do the work." So, perhaps the big upward trend did that. Not sure, but I had no problem. Oh and my MCAT was not through the roof, although that would have helped.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Am I the only one that found the OP's title a tad inappropriate 😛