Low DAT Reading Score (17); Should I retake? TS: 26, AA: 23

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

careerchanger123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just took the DAT and my scores are all over the place! I panicked on the reading section, ended up guessing on half of the questions and ultimately scored very low on it. I am quite worried about my score. Should retake the DAT? I'm applying this cycle when it opens in June. If I retake the DAT around early July (after 90 days) I'll probably do better on the reading next time (in theory).

PAT: 21, QR: 20, RC: 17, Bio: 24, GC: 26, OC: 30, TS: 26, AA: 23

Undergraduate GPA: 3.30 (science GPA 3.5)
Graduate GPA: 3.5

I did research during undergrad + grad school and worked as teaching assistant for some Chemistry and Organic Chemistry courses. In terms of shadowing, I have about 100 hours accumulated. I worked in the pharmaceutical industry for a few years after graduating. Right now, I am working as an engineer for a company that manufactures a variety of dental products. Just wondering what I should do now.

Any suggestions/input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_20170327_214303.jpg
    IMG_20170327_214303.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

I just took the DAT and my scores are all over the place! I panicked on the reading section, ended up guessing on half of the questions and ultimately scored very low on it. I am quite worried about my score. Should retake the DAT? I'm applying this cycle when it opens in June. If I retake the DAT around early July (after 90 days) I'll probably do better on the reading next time (in theory).

PAT: 21, QR: 20, RC: 17, Bio: 24, GC: 26, OC: 30, TS: 26, AA: 23

Undergraduate GPA: 3.30 (science GPA 3.5)
Graduate GPA: 3.5

I did research during undergrad + grad school and worked as teaching assistant for a some Chemistry and Organic Chemistry courses. In terms of shadowing, I have about 100 hours accumulated. I worked in the pharmaceutical industry for a few years after graduating. Right now, I am working as an engineer for a company that manufactures a variety of dental products. Just wondering what I should do now.

Any suggestions/input would be appreciated! Thanks!

IMO, I don't think you need to re-take but I suggest you call admissions offices of the schools you are interested in applying to and ask them what they think.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, congrats on rocking the DAT! Your science scores are off the charts! I think your best bet is to contact the admissions office of the schools you want to apply to and ask for their opinion for the RC score. In my personal opinion, you don't need to retake. Just from your extra-curriculars and mastery of the science content I think it's clear you know how to read ;) I wouldn't stress too much. Congratulations again!

So far, I have called California schools (USC, UCLA, UCSF, UOP, Western) and they have similar responses: I won't be automatically rejected from their system for the low individual score :)

Thanks Ari! I just wanted to say that Bootcamp was invaluable in helping me prepare for the PAT and science sections!

Also, I wouldn't have been able to do so well on the science without the DAT and Math Destroyer books!

So far, I have called California schools (USC, UCLA, UCSF, UOP, Western) and they have similar responses: I won't be automatically rejected from their system for the low individual score :)
Hi!
Your scores are impressive overall and I’m in the same situation as you and will be applying next cycle. I’m wondering if you ended up getting accepted to any schools.

Thank you!