Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

low G.P.A please help.

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by docxxgf, Dec 12, 2008.

1. docxxgf

Pre-Medical
    I have a low G.P.A of 3.17. I have not calculated my science G.P.A. I pretty sure is around a 3.1 as well. I have not taken the Mcat. I am pretty good on extracurricular activities and research. However I need to work on volunteer hours.
    I am suppose to apply next year but with my low G.P.A and I don't know any more. My G.P.A had been a 2.82 a year ago, but I worked hard to bring it to a 3.17 this semester. Next semester it will be something close to a 3.3 if I continue at this rate.
    Even with my hard work, I feel I will not get a shot at acceptance if I apply next year. Although I have not taken the MCAT, I just think my G.P.A will weigh a whole lot more. My G.P.A had been bad my first 2.5 years of college (averaging 2.8), due to remission from cancer and surgeries. I know the health thing seem excusable however I don't want to rely on it. I just feel I should have done better.
    I considered grad school because I like research and I felt they will accept me easier with my low G.P.A.
    But I feel I'm not doing it for the right reasons. I have always wanted to go the med school but as I get close to graduating I am beginning to have doubts. I don't know if it is because of my low grade profile or frustrations.
    I don't know if it is worth it staying in school longer to get my G.P.A to a 3.5 before applying. At this point I am really tired and frustrated and in need of your advice.
    Thanks in advance for your support.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. yellowtibby

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Although that GPA is low if you can pull a 3.8-4.0 the rest of college and have the medical problem to explain in your personal statement you may have a shot as long as your MCATs are high. If not I would definitely enroll in a post bacc program and prove to yourself and the admissions committee that you can handle the curriculum. As long as you do well in post bacc and have decent MCAT, I think you have a decent chance! Don't lose hope just yet! :)

4. unique135

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    If poor health is reason for low GPA then you should have chance. But for that you need to prove with some good consistent grades in academics that you really are capable.

5. WeAreNotRobots

WeAreNotRobots doctor of medicine
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i think what was meant is:
    if poor health is the reason for your low grades, then you should be able to prove this is the case by getting better grades later on in your academic career.

so basically, if you've been > 3.5 since your health improved, you should be fine.

6. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    If you don't want to put an extra year or two into GPA repair, consider a DO medical school, where the mean acceptee GPA is 3.4 and MCAT 24. There is an entire forum dedicated to pre-osteopathic sudents here on SDN (DOs are osteopathic physicians, MDs are allopathic physicians). The same extracurriculars are expected. The scope of practice is very similiar with both degrees.

And don't say you are "supposed to apply next year". People apply in their 30s, 40s, and 50s these days. There is no rush to get to professional school. Getting your application into the best possible shape before applying is important, as the application process is way to expensive to repeat it, if you can possibly avoid doing so.

I hope you'll soon be feeling less discouraged. You've already made great progress in improving your GPA. It's normal to be "down" during final exam time. Hopefully a break from school will give you new perspective and renew your determination.

7. docxxgf

Pre-Medical
    Thanks everyone for your reply. I have been able to pull over a 3.5 with 18 hours per semester after my surgeries. I know there is a chance that the adcoms will look positively at this especially if I get a good MCAT score. I guess its just discouraging that I see ppl with 3.5 and don't get in, so it makes me think I don't even have a shot at all.
    I also don't want to do the DO route. I'm very unsure on how things are going to turn out. And of course finals are going crazy. I can't get a 4.0 this semester any more which I was banking on to pull up my G.P.A a little bit. The only way I see to repair this is to take some summer classes before applying, but then that will also delay my application and reduce my chances of getting in. So it all seems that I am pretty much screwed.

8. tnig469

tnig469 No more Kryptonite!
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I say you concentrate on your upcoming classes and show an upward trend. Focus on getting a good MCAT score 30+. I do not understand why you wouldn't think of the D.O. route...kinda of makes me sad! :(

9. docxxgf

Pre-Medical
    To tnig469, thanks for the reply and encouragement. I don't know so much of the D.O degree this is why I don't want to do something I'm not familiar with. Please understand I have nothing against it.

10. Rzarecta

Rzarecta Premed 2: Electric Bugalo
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It isn't difficult to read up on the subject and/or talk to DO students/physicians. This excuse is kind of weak, to be frankly honest.